free website stats program Fuel economy | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel economy

sgt_1230

I have about 300 miles now on my 2010 Ultra Classic Limited. My 1st 2 tanks of gas I got 22MPG and 28 MPG. I have a V&H VO2 free flow air cleaner, V&H Pro Pipe HO, SE 255 cams and PC V. I know the bike is still new and very tight, but should my mileage be so poor? The bike seems to run excellent and I did the 30 to 60, 60 to 30 break in and have been taking it very easy on it. I actually called the dealer and was told I probably wouldn't get above 30 MPG until I get over 500 miles on it and realistically would be lucky to ever get over 40. Does this sound right? Thanks for any input.

Every bike is different, as it breaks in the mileage should go up a bit, I would think the mileage should be better than this tho

I actually called the dealer and was told I probably wouldn't get above 30 MPG until I get over 500 miles on it and realistically would be lucky to ever get over 40. Does this sound right? Thanks for any input.

I tend to agree. With that many performance add-ons I can't see you ever breaking 40 mpg. If you really want to know whats going on you need to check your A/F ratios. Just a guess but the fueler may be over rich.(?)

You will get better fuel mileage as you put more mileage on the bike. But it took way more than 500 miles to see an improvement with mine.

I tend to agree. With that many performance add-ons I can't see you ever breaking 40 mpg. If you really want to know whats going on you need to check your A/F ratios. Just a guess but the fueler may be over rich.(?)

You will get better fuel mileage as you put more mileage on the bike. But it took way more than 500 miles to see an improvement with mine.

I got the SE 103 kit, w/ the heads ported and polished, SE 255 cams, SE race tuner ect...
went out for a 400+ mile ride today (just broke 900miles on the odometer) and averaged 41mpg (US gallons), 45mpg (imperial) w/ the break in map, speeds averaged 65-85mph w/ 91 octane gas. Thats on an 09 Street Glide. I go in for dyno tune on tuesday and expect it to go up a little more.

Right from the start, my 09 RG was geeting 42 mpg w/ no add ons. I richened up my TFI slightly and I'm getting 38 mpg. Prior to this, I was getting a solid 40-42 mpg w/ the Ness AC, V&H pipes and TFI.

I bet like Hoople said, the PCV is the culprit. Whom ever you bought the PCV from can send you a different map. I know FuelMoto has helped many of folks.

I kind of figured that my poor mileage may be caused by the PC V. I got it installed when I bought the bike and it should go in within 3-4 weeks for 1000 mile service, so I will call and see if they can check on the map they put in. I am also going to pull my plugs...I suspect they will be black.

stock 09 ultra 45 mpg, then stage 1 download kerker slip ons stock a/c. then winter set in mileage dropped to 32 mpg all around town. spring warmer weather mpg going up 39 mpg.

My '07 E.G. Classic was averaging 42 mpg with JUST SE slip ons. I added a SE hi-flow air filter assy. and TFI. Now I average 39 mpg. IMO the increased perf. justifies the 3 mpg loss. Your mpg seems really bad if you are riding it with any kind of restraint.

I got the SE 103 kit, w/ the heads ported and polished, SE 255 cams, SE race tuner ect...
went out for a 400+ mile ride today (just broke 900miles on the odometer) and averaged 41mpg (US gallons), 45mpg (imperial) w/ the break in map, speeds averaged 65-85mph w/ 91 octane gas. Thats on an 09 Street Glide. I go in for dyno tune on tuesday and expect it to go up a little more.

Those are awesome MPG numbers. I would have never believed it would be possible to break 40 MPG.

But remember an unmodified map from the pull down chart of a SE Tuner is still very lean at cruise MAP pressure levels. I don't think the OP has the same fuel management as you.
But none the less, it is Great you have the best of both worlds. Performance and economy.

Sgt,

Where did you get your map for the PCV? It sounds to me like the map you're using isn't working well for your mods.....

Back