free website stats program Fuel coming fron carb vent... | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel coming fron carb vent...

carz

I pulled in my drive way I notice gas coming out of my carb vent, and I popped the gas cap to release the pleasure, it was still coming out so I cut the fuel flow from the petcock, and it stopped, and by looking here it said chances are there is some debris blocking the float from dropping and stopping the gas flow, now my question is are there any quick fixes to solve this problem? Like disconnect the fuel line and blow some air in the vent for the carb, or is that a bad idea? Cause there would still be debris in the carb rite???

Best to drop the float bowl and the float and needle and clean it out right or you may run into the problem again at a least opportune time.

I pulled in my drive way I notice gas coming out of my carb vent, and I popped the gas cap to release the pleasure, it was still coming out so I cut the fuel flow from the petcock, and it stopped, and by looking here it said chances are there is some debris blocking the float from dropping and stopping the gas flow, now my question is are there any quick fixes to solve this problem? Like disconnect the fuel line and blow some air in the vent for the carb, or is that a bad idea? Cause there would still be debris in the carb rite???

Quick fix out on the road which sometimes workes is to tap the bowl and try to dislodge the debris. But you need to take the bowl off to get the debris out of the system.

If you want a quick fix? I've done the cruise at 55mph and shut off the petcock wait for the stumble and turn it back on (petcock) do that a few times, the flush of fuel over the needle may help. But like Glider said, and I have done many times is take the needle out and clean or rebuild the carb. The rebuild is better becuz gaskets can & will leak if not renewed. OBTW, my fix may work for 2 yrs., 2mo., 2 weeks, 2 days, or 2 hrs. Rebuild is best.

opp

With the age of your bike it may be that the rubber coating on the top of the float needle has hardened and is not creating a good seal
as you are going to have to at some time soon remove the float bowl it would be good practise to replace the float needle at this time

Brian

thanks guys, I removed the float bowl, and there was some black stuff for sake of better words, and sure enough after finding out how to put everything back in the right way.. Runs well. thanks guys, I’m still having problems with the oil coming out of the vent and threw the intake, and rite on my exhaust, but I guess I’ll look on the lighter side, the exhaust is nice and smooth..

Glad you got a handle on it. Check your oil level, if it's too high it will come out the vents otherwise you may have a problem in the heads with the vents.

Last edited:
BTW, there is a screw in plug that allows you to drain the float bowl in a clear glass...any fine particles that settle will drain out, so you do not have to pull the whole thing.

Back