free website stats program Fuel/Air Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel/Air Issue

shanedawg

I have a '01 Dyna Wide Glide and when I let off the throttle or during down shifting I get a loud pops through the exhaust and it throws out a blue flame. I am currently running stock carb that has been jetted out, not for sure to what but the bottom air/fuel mixture screw was drilled, Python exhaust 2 into 2 without baffles but have torque cones and a cone air filter. I don't think it popped like it does now with the stock air filter is it is making me think that I am getting to much air, but I am not an expert. I am hoping some of you might be able to help me out. Thanks in advance.

Shane

When you remove the baffles, you will get some pooping out the pipes, you need baffles for some restriction.

Also not good to drill a jet, rather replace it for size and flow reasons.

I think I might have misused some words. The jet wasn't drilled out, the previous owner had bigger jets put in and they drilled the piece on the bottom of the carb to get access to the jet that is hidden (I have read about doing this a few times not for sure what it is called). As far as the exhaust goes I took the baffels out 3 years ago and I like the popping sound you get through straight pipes when you let off the throttle, but since I changed the air filter, I get a blue flame and a distinct pop when it happens. Some of my buddies said it might be getting to much air now and that is the cause for the flame and distinct pop.

I think I might have misused some words. The jet wasn't drilled out, the previous owner had bigger jets put in and they drilled the piece on the bottom of the carb to get access to the jet that is hidden (I have read about doing this a few times not for sure what it is called). As far as the exhaust goes I took the baffels out 3 years ago and I like the popping sound you get through straight pipes when you let off the throttle, but since I changed the air filter, I get a blue flame and a distinct pop when it happens. Some of my buddies said it might be getting to much air now and that is the cause for the flame and distinct pop.

You are referring to the plug that covers the idle mixture screw obviously here.
Changing the air filter after jetting a carb will lean the mixture out and the carb should be rejetted again. Also running without the baffles will throw things off as far as jetting too. Read this post.

*Twin Cam CV Carb Rejet Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community

Too lean is a bad thing burned valves and pistons come to mind, tho the flames and popping may look and sound cool your motor will suffer and so will your performance, JMO

Back