free website stats program Front Yoke Grease | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Yoke Grease

New to the Touring Bikes and know there is a grease fitting on the front steering stem of the new bike. How much and what kind? MOCO's owners manual says use their special purpose grease for steering head bearings. Looking around the local auto parts store the other day and saw some Mobile 1 synthetic grease that looked like it was thicck enough to stand up to hwarm temperatures without oozing out the front end. What are you guys using?

It takes a LOT of grease, pump until your gun is empty, refill and pump until it starts coming out of the top and bottom of the neck. The factory only greases the bearings at assembly, you have to fill the whole neck. If there is not a 45 or 90 degree fitting on the neck, put one in, it makes it a lot easier.

Just a heads up. The fitting is metric thread. Do not make the same mistake that I did. I went to NAPA parts store and had to buy 6 pack of fittings to just get one 90. Go to Lowes the sell metric grease fittings in packs of two for a third of the price. I used Walmart marine grade grease never had on drop of grease on fender at all this summer.

Appreciate the info and advice. Just had the MoCo 1K service performed and, as expected, it hadn't been touched. Got her packed full of grease now, Thanks!

Just a bit of a warning now for you, don't be overly shocked when you find big blobs of grease on your bike now. :) The grease will work itself out at times, especially on a good hot day. :D How do I know this you ask? Well, as usual, I got off the bike & nearly had a panic attack when I saw big blobs of grease on the bike. At first I didn't know where they came from, but I chilled out a bit & then I just started inspecting the bike. :s I really thought I had messed something up.

And for the record, they really weren't 'big blobs' of grease, more like little blobs occasionally, but the first time I saw it, I thought they were pretty big. :D

A good marine grade grease is more resistant to water/saltwater which is a big plus over most greases. Because the steering bearings do not suffer from heat nearly as much as pressure and corrosion causing galling...it is a good choice.

...... Well, as usual, I got off the bike & nearly had a panic attack when I saw big blobs of grease on the bike. At first I didn't know where they came from, but I chilled out a bit & then I just started inspecting the bike. :s I really thought I had messed something up.

And for the record, they really weren't 'big blobs' of grease, more like little blobs occasionally, but the first time I saw it, I thought they were pretty big. :D

:newsmile070::panic AAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHHH My scoot is going to self-implode!!!!!! :D J/K sis !!!

Randy, that is what I was thinking. Not that I panic if I see anything at all after I have done any work to the bike, but I may panic briefly & then I get my wits about me and think to myself, 'Self, what would your fine friends at HDT tell you to do?' then I methodically start investigating until I find the problem or source. :s

Back