free website stats program Front wheel | Harley Davidson Forums

Front wheel

Klaus

I would like to set a 18" or 21" front wheel in a street glide, what do you think?, there is any risk leaving the 16" on the rear?. any risk at all having two different sizes of wheels? 18" or 21"?

appreciate your help

see you on the road.

I have an '08 SG with a Renegade 18" Multipiece Aspen. I did leave the stock 16' on the rear. The handling is no different than the 16" up front. If you decide on a 21", I've heard it's a good idea to lower the front end by 1" and maybe adjust the front fender. You'll get plenty of feed back on this thread and maybe look at past posts concerning a 21" up front.

Taller tires on the front will increase the rake slightly, depending on how much taller. More rake means more straight line stability, less turning stability. A shorter does the opposite.

Most dirt bikes (or dual purpose) have a larger front wheel to keep rolling out of dips or holes.

I would also think that a taller front wheel moves your center of gravity back on the bike.

Just done a 21'' front on a 07 FLHX with the stock 16'' rear and the owner loves it. Say it handles fine & I drove it and liked it also.
OnBike1.jpg

The softail custom and the dyna wide glide that i have both came from the factory with a 21" front wheel wide glide has been changed to a 16" by a previous owner but i prefer the feel of the larger wheel up front it makes the front end feel lighter and is quicker in the turns

Brian

I have been kicking around the idea of putting a newer take off, say a 2010 or 2011 front wheel and putting it on a 2008 Street Glide - I like the Limited front wheel as well as the newer Street Glide front wheel. Plus there is a cost savings over going with an after market. Thoughts or known problems?

Any one has more information?, I been told the front wheel of harley works, they set just for 09 and up, because the rear wheel do not fit. They said I need to go for aftermarket tires to set the to wheels, any sugestion about it

ty

I have the exact set up that you want. I have not had any problems with it. I did not have to make any adjustments to the front fender and even though it does raise the front of the bike, it seems to steer more responsively and the steering is lighter.

Back