free website stats program Front wheel wobble | Harley Davidson Forums

Front wheel wobble

On my '97 heritage softail classic I am experiencing wheel wobble when decelerating after letting off the throttle at about 60mph. Any suggestions on where to start looking to correct this?

Start with a close examination of the front tire. Any uneven tread wear? Proper inflation? How many miles on the tire? Next up would be the bearings. Check both the wheel bearings and the steering head bearings. Wheel bearings you are looking for loose/worn bearings. Steering head you are mostly checking bearing adjustment, however they could be worn out too. How many miles on the bike?

Check for missing wheel balance weights and spoke tension just to add to what has already been covered

Brian

Bike has 62,000 0n it, front tire may have between 15k and 18k, I am not sure although tread is not down to the wear marks. Thanks you two for your advice

I am picking up a new 2014 ultraglide limited today and have a guy that wants to buy my softail and I want it right for him. First brand new Harley that I have ever bought, They had one 2014 left on the floor and knocked off $3,500 because of it being 1 2014. Bike is my retirement gift to myself!

Happy retirement! If you are still trying to fix the softail wobble, it sound like the steering neck bearings are dry or loose. You could trying greasing until it oozes out and tightening until just firm and backing off a notch. The service manual covers this is depth. A fall away test is also mentioned in the manual.
Good luck!
Congrats on the new bike!

The front wheel ended up being 3/32 off. I had that corrected and had a new front tire put on along with new brakes, I now can take my hands off the handlebars and slow down without any wobble.

Back