free website stats program Front wheel noise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front wheel noise

The need for the steering head to be adjusted isn't abnormal for any new bike. I had the same thing with mine after only a couple of thousand miles. It's not a difficult thing to so, just requires the dis assembly of the front end fairing or nacelle on RK's to get at the bearing adjuster in the neck. You can do the job yourself if you are handy using the fall away method described in the factory manual.

How many miles on your bike, could your front tire be cupping and wearing uneven cuzing it to make that noise when going around corners?

I'm having this same problem on my 04 RK Custom. Also, I have always thought that the handling was squirrelly and sounds like a constant rubbing up front. Brakes are rubbing a bit and a little warp in one of the rotors but not a lot. Back rubs worse than the front. I just checked my fall away and it basically doesn't have much. Returns to center and stops. I took off nacelle and it's a little better but not much. Just goes a little past center and back. Book say's three swings. I don't have a big enough socket to torque the fork stem nut. Would grease help before I go try to find a socket or any way to correctly tighten with a wrench?

I'm having this same problem on my 04 RK Custom. Also, I have always thought that the handling was squirrelly and sounds like a constant rubbing up front. Brakes are rubbing a bit and a little warp in one of the rotors but not a lot. Back rubs worse than the front. I just checked my fall away and it basically doesn't have much. Returns to center and stops. I took off nacelle and it's a little better but not much. Just goes a little past center and back. Book say's three swings. I don't have a big enough socket to torque the fork stem nut. Would grease help before I go try to find a socket or any way to correctly tighten with a wrench?

I was told to disconnect clutch cable before doing test and also to grease it beforehand too. Clutch cable can interfere with motion when checking fallaway.

Is there an easy way to disconnect the clutch cable? I removed the pivot pin and there is not enough play in the cable to slide it out of the slot.
Thanks.

Is there an easy way to disconnect the clutch cable? I removed the pivot pin and there is not enough play in the cable to slide it out of the slot.
Thanks.

Collapse the cable adjuster in the middle of the cable. When you're all done readjust it to give you about 1/8" free play at the lever.

Back