Front Wheel Bearings

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by Ozzie82, May 9, 2011.

1. Ozzie82

Ozzie82 Member

Having to replace front wheel bearings on my 07 FLSTC, any advice on these?

2. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

In the past i have used some threaded bar appropriate sized socket and some big washers to draw the bearings into a wheel

Brian

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Sound advice here, never strike a new bearing , always use the proper tool or pull them in as Fin said:s

4. ProF

ProF Junior Member

Just curious....why did you have to replace the bearings? Doesn't seem like an 07 should need new bearings yet.

5. Jack Klarich

Water intrusion , the new bearings do not seal good with the tin shield and lack of a good lip type seal, The MOCO blames washing the wheels and riding in the rain. You would think they would have done better R & D on them JMO

6. Ozzie82

Ozzie82 Member

I do pressure wash my bike and have directed on the wheels when cleaning, but not no more, I have 35k on my bike and have been reading where other guys are replacing with less miles, can't control every drop of water if that is the life of a bearing.
    I was lucky enough to make it back home.

Also I just pulled the front wheel off and noticed the nut was easy to remove, and noticed that the spacer seem to have a gap between bearing and spacer?

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
  7. BikeSAG

BikeSAG Active Member

Ok..........now you guys got my curiosity up. My 2007 FLSTC just turned over 32000 miles. Original wheel bearings front and rear. Never used a water hose of any kind on it. How do you check to see if they need replaced? No wobble when on the lift.

8. Jack Klarich

Jack it up, put your hand on the fork legs, spin the wheel, does it vibrate on the fork legs? Does the wheel spin easy with no noise or rough spots?

9. BikeSAG

BikeSAG Active Member

Thanks Jack, that's what I do, wasn't sure if there was more I should check for. I'll be changing oli again in the next few days will listen/feel them again.

10. Jack Klarich

:s Good Luck