free website stats program Front vs Rear | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front vs Rear

The Indy shop where I usually go, recommends changing both tires at the same time. When I first got my bike, I took off the 21" thin wheel and put the stock one back on. It's in need of replacing soon. After having her, about 3 weeks or so, the rear tire developed a bubble -- So, I'm a bit miss matched now, Kinda new rear (Dunlop) and need to change front (Dunlop), I was thinking of switching to Metzlers or Avons but with this discussion, now I'm a bit in a quandary :unsure - maybe it would be best to go with a Dunlop to match the rear and switch brands (if I still feel the need), when the front wears out.

My riding style consists of moderate braking; usually easy take-offs, considerable highway and lots of twisties (at least preferred :D ).

Any thoughts on what I should do? :dknow

CatWoman

Smitty,,,after reading your comments along with a few others,,I've decided to postpone the changing of the front tire. From what everyone here is saying, I should have a few more thousand miles to go with it. I ride mostly straight and/or two up. Not much cornering to do here in Louisiana.

Generally speaking tires are replaced when tread wear approaches the level of the wear bar indicators crossing the tread. That said, Catwoman is correct that if you are close to the wear indicator on either tire, if you change brand of tire, you should change both as most manufacturer testing is done with matching front and rear tires. Odd handling quirks could occur if you have mismatched tires front vs rear.

As Smitty says, the front wearing out prematurely i.e. quicker than the rear is rather odd, and usually means something is wrong, alignment, tire defect etc. The key here is that the loading on the front is lighter, and most of us ride without slipping and sliding the front tire. The rear however gets most of the stresses due to slippage and resistance to bending the bike around with the wheel rigidly mounted trying to go straight, resisting the turns. Now add the power pulses transfering the "judder" of throttle with gear changes and acceleration as well as this uneven weight distribution...unless we are cornering and braking during most of the life of the tire, doing stoppies, the wear would be more on the rear tire than the front.

Just remember, everything you read on a forum is generally just somebody's opinion. They can post good, bad or in-between info, so you have to think it through. Read a lot of different opinions and pick the one you think is best. Just because someone sounds like they are the expert, they might just be a know-it-all. Lots of forums and lots of opinions, you just got to wade through it all to figure it all out. Lots of great info here, you just have to find it.... In general I don't put a lot of trust in someone who stands to make a buck off of the info they are giving (dealers or Indy shops). Good luck! And remember, experience is the best teacher. Buy a manual and wrench on your own...:p

THANKS for the input Smitty, Newhd74fan!!

You've sewn it up for me -- I'll go Dunlap this go round!! :bigsmiley12:

CatWoman

THANKS for the input Smitty, Newhd74fan!!

You've sewn it up for me -- I'll go Dunlap this go round!! :bigsmiley12:

CatWoman

CatWoman,

If you are going with the D402s I strongly suggest inspecting both tires ALL the way around at least weekly. You are looking for a crack developing in the water grooves running with the tire rotation. Too many of us on this site have personally experienced this that it is statistically significant.

Dunlop Tire Problems - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

The Indy shop where I usually go, recommends changing both tires at the same time.
After having her, about 3 weeks or so, the rear tire developed a bubble -- So, I'm a bit miss matched now, Kinda new rear (Dunlop) and need to change front (Dunlop),
I was thinking of switching to Metzlers or Avons but with this discussion, now I'm a bit in a quandary :unsure - maybe it would be best to go with a Dunlop to match the rear and switch brands (if I still feel the need), when the front wears out.

CatWoman

Do you guys/gals find that you have changed the front tire or rear tire out first on your new bike? I was told today that the rear gets changed out first usually,,,,as I'm about to replace my front tire for the first time with 7700 miles on my RK.

Generally... I replace my REAR tire twice to each front tire...

DogDad...
If you have a first generation Dunlop D407f, it's pretty common for those tires to wear fast, and begin to cup. So common, that H-D and Dunlop redesigned the tire. Talk to your H-D service dept. There is a good chance you can get the tire replace on the MOCO's nickle... that is IF.... you have a D407f.

Catwoman... if you don't care about white wall tires, give Dunlop Elite-3's a good look... great grip wet or dry, I get 13k+ on the rear, and 26k+ on the front. The tread pattern on the E-3 will not track all those road imperfections

There's no reason, to change out BOTH tires each time.... unless YOU want to.

Edited to add:
Generally, if we don't maintain air pressure, tires will wear out faster. Always check the pressure, at least once a week... 10 degree temp drops will cause A/P to drop, my experience has been cast wheels maintain A/P better... but you're may not... tubes and spoked whhels SEEM to lose more (ymmv)

I get 13k+ on the rear, and 26k+ on the front.

Generally, if we don't maintain air pressure, tires will wear out faster. Always check the pressure, at least once a week... 10 degree temp drops will cause A/P to drop, my experience has been cast wheels maintain A/P better... but you're may not... tubes and spoked whhels SEEM to lose more (ymmv)

I always thought this was the rule. Am I wrong.

If a tire compound is Soft, tires will gripe better but tire life will be short.

If tire compound is Hard, tires will not be as sticky but tire life will be long.

Wow. So if that is true, who cares about tire life. Give me the shortest life tires! I want to GRIP.

Back