free website stats program Front vs Rear | Harley Davidson Forums

Front vs Rear

dogdad

Do you guys/gals find that you have changed the front tire or rear tire out first on your new bike? I was told today that the rear gets changed out first usually,,,,as I'm about to replace my front tire for the first time with 7700 miles on my RK.

I concur with Smitty.
Rear wears faster and that is normal and expected.
My riding style happens to fit with Smitty's numbers as well but that is really rider dependent.

Hard take-offs, hard braking, twistys vs. highway, one-up vs. two-up, all impact the number and miles you get. Additionally some tire manuacturers make tires from different compounds which are harder or softer. Softer will obviously wear faster, but provide better grip. I have only used Dunlops put on by my local dealer.

I think I could get a little more milage out of my rear before I change it but when it rains, I want a little more tread than the minimum for safety. (I got a little "fishy" in some heavy rain and it made me pucker. Now I change my tires on tread depth rather than miles. I don't wait to see the "warning bands")

I concur with Smitty.
Rear wears faster and that is normal and expected.
My riding style happens to fit with Smitty's numbers as well but that is really rider dependent.

Hard take-offs, hard braking, twistys vs. highway, one-up vs. two-up, all impact the number and miles you get. Additionally some tire manuacturers make tires from different compounds which are harder or softer. Softer will obviously wear faster, but provide better grip. I have only used Dunlops put on by my local dealer.

I think I could get a little more milage out of my rear before I change it but when it rains, I want a little more tread than the minimum for safety. (I got a little "fishy" in some heavy rain and it made me pucker. Now I change my tires on tread depth rather than miles. I don't wait to see the "warning bands")

You might want to give a softer tire a try next time you change both tires. I changed to Avon tires after getting tired of the 'slippery in the rain 402 Dunlops'! Avons may not last as long but they sure do grip the road. Give me grip over mileage any day. Even Metzeler tires grip better then Dunlop tires, dry or wet conditions. High mileage ain't everything, staying upright and on the road is.... :57: Be careful out there in the rain.

Kind of curious why you are having to replace a front at 7700 miles unless you have something out of line. I get performance like Smitty out of the skins. Just running stock dunlops

You might want to give a softer tire a try next time you change both tires. I changed to Avon tires after getting tired of the 'slippery in the rain 402 Dunlops'! Avons may not last as long but they sure do grip the road. Give me grip over mileage any day. Even Metzeler tires grip better then Dunlop tires, dry or wet conditions. High mileage ain't everything, staying upright and on the road is.... :57: Be careful out there in the rain.

I agree with you and have been thinking about trying something different just to see. Just to be clear, I know my issue then was thin tread not being able to pump out the water. I will probably give a different brand a try on my next change. My front will be ready to go at that point so it will be the 2 tire swap time.... Thanks for the input!

On my last bike, 04 Ultra, is like above. Change the rear 2 to 1 to the front. My new bike, 09 ultra, had to change the front at 11k because of cupping. Now, I have 18k on the bike and it looks like the rear will have to be changed within the next couple of thousand miles.

Smitty, I need to change my rear tire its got some tread left, but its like flat almost all the way across. I'm pretty stoked about replacing it come spring time, will it handle allot different, or am I getting excited over nothing?

I bought the bike in August, I do like to ride twisties and when I do it just doesn't seem to want to hug the corners that well, I wasn't sure if it was me or the bike, my last bike was a 97 springer softail.

Back