free website stats program Front tire Whine | Harley Davidson Forums

Front tire Whine

Put a set of Metzler 880's on my 07 Low Rider 5k ago. Great tire but when I lean into a curve at highway speed WOW do they whine. Seems to be coming from the front. Kinda reminds me of 4WD tires. Straight ahead -- quiet as a church mouse.
Tried playing with the pressure to no avail.
Since most of my riding here in the SW is straight up I'm wondering since the tire is wearing more in the center than the sides could this be the cause????
The noise was not there until recently.
Joe

If you have a lift put the bike in the air and see how the wheel bearings feel.

If the tires are wearing good I would be checking the bearings

Joe

You didn't state the tire sizes you run but some 880 sizes require insane tire pressures. Don't know what "playing with tire pressures" means but if your filling them to 35 psi that's way too low and that's per Metzler. You didn't tell us the milage on bike either but 2007's use the sealed wheel bearings that have tons of problems. Check that 1st. If they are original, their probably bad.

I have been keeping the front tire (100/90-19) around 30psi per the owners manual. Too low????? Printed on the tire is a warning not to exceed 40psi. Had the front wheel bearings changed when the tire was replaced 5k ago. Bike has 35k. Just preventative maintenance. Will jack her up tomorrow and check the bearings anyways. Might have gotten a bad one.

Put a set of Metzler 880's on my 07 Low Rider 5k ago. Great tire but when I lean into a curve at highway speed WOW do they whine. Seems to be coming from the front. Kinda reminds me of 4WD tires. Straight ahead -- quiet as a church mouse.
Since most of my riding here in the SW is straight up I'm wondering since the tire is wearing more in the center than the sides could this be the cause????
The noise was not there until recently.
Joe
My dunlops do the same thing at about 10 to 12 thousand miles. I can tell the mileage on the front tire by the whine. Third tire same thing. You get used to it.

I have been keeping the front tire (100/90-19) around 30psi per the owners manual. Too low?????

I run the same tire (Metzeler 880 100/90-19 TL 57H) and the factory says not to run less than 38 PSI cold. My rear tire (160/70B17 TL 79V) has a minimum of 44 PSI with a max of 50 PSI cold. I run 48 in rear cold. I would never go by the owners manual unless I had the same original tires that match to what the owners manual was written for.

The way I see it => Once you change brands, go by what the tire company recommends. You now have Metzeler tires on the bike. The owners manual was written for Dunlops. Why would you let Dunlop dictate the pressures to run. Makes sense?

What is strange to me is my front tire doesn't say "warning not to exceed 40psi" on the side of it like yours does.... Mine says max load of 507 lbs at 42 PSI Cold. According to Metzeler, max running tire pressure for that size is 42 psi Cold.

Wow, you only have 5K on the new front bearings? It is possible that a bearing is still bad. They can get easily damaged when installing them if pressed in by the wrong race. Brake rotor side bearing must be pressed in by outer race. Other side bearing must be pressed "flat" to spacer only. If both bearings are pressed in by outer races, premature failure can result.

I would jack it up the front and push the brake pads back into the calipers just a little bit so nothing can drag and make noise. It should now be dead silent when you spin it.

Somethings not right about the writing on the side of your Metzeler Marathon 880 front tire.

I run the same tire (Metzeler 880 100/90-19 TL 57H) and the factory says not to run less than 38 PSI cold. My rear tire (160/70B17 TL 79V) has a minimum of 44 PSI with a max of 50 PSI cold. I run 48 in rear cold. I would never go by the owners manual unless I had the same original tires that match to what the owners manual was written for.

The way I see it => Once you change brands, go by what the tire company recommends. You now have Metzeler tires on the bike. The owners manual was written for Dunlops. Why would you let Dunlop dictate the pressures to run. Makes sense?

What is strange to me is my front tire doesn't say "warning not to exceed 40psi" on the side of it like yours does.... Mine says max load of 507 lbs at 42 PSI Cold. According to Metzeler, max running tire pressure for that size is 42 psi Cold.

Wow, you only have 5K on the new front bearings? It is possible that a bearing is still bad. They can get easily damaged when installing them if pressed in by the wrong race. Brake rotor side bearing must be pressed in by outer race. Other side bearing must be pressed "flat" to spacer only. If both bearings are pressed in by outer races, premature failure can result.

I would jack it up the front and push the brake pads back into the calipers just a little bit so nothing can drag and make noise. It should now be dead silent when you spin it.

Somethings not right about the writing on the side of your Metzeler Marathon 880 front tire.
Just got back from an early morning ride. Earlier I raised the front end and removed the caliper. The tire spun super smooth and quiet. Took a little bit of time to slow to stop so I figure the new bearings are OK. Increased the pressure to 40psi, 48 to the rear tire.
Seems all's well now. Had her up to 80 and did some quick lane changes on the Interstate and whine no-more.
Again, thank to all you guys for your help!!!
Joe
PS. Got my magnifying glass out and the 40psi was for bead seating. I found the 42psi caution

Last edited by a moderator:
Back