free website stats program Front Tire Rub | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Tire Rub

Hoople I have been running Avon's for years and never had a fitment problem. Avons' venom and cobra tires have a sport profile with touring compound rubber. I still don't understand the IP having the problem he is having unless someone has already modified the mounting hole to get the fender closer to the tire for a more custom look.

I have avon tyres on my softail and sportster without fitment issues and plenty of clearance
Perhaps when the op had the 21" wheel fitted in place of the 17" original equipment wheel there was not sufficient clearance created around the fender for the new wheel size

Brian

unless someone has already modified the mounting hole to get the fender closer to the tire for a more custom look.

I agree. That would explain it all. There is usually an inch of clearance between the fender and tire. You would have to have over an inch of additional radius or an overall wheel height increase of 2 inches for the rubber to rub the fender. I just don't see that happening with two same size tires but different brands.

This is the profile of a sport tire with a touring tire profile overlaid

I now see what you mean. So it's possible if you added a bunch more tire crown. Thanks, that is good to know when shopping for tires.

Fin it would appear that he was replacing a 21" with a 21".

From the wee bit of research i have done the 09 sg came from the factory with a 17" wheel and the difference in size between the stock wheel and tyre size and that of what is now fitted would have eliminated all the clearance of the fender and it may be that a minor profile difference between the two types of tyre would fill all the remaining clearance space and caused the current issue
So the question is what was done to modify the fender to accommodate the larger size wheel when it was converted to a 21" wheel

Brian

Fin I think that is exactly the issue. When the tire size was increased there had to be some modification for it to fit under the existing fender. If all that was done was to elongate the holes than adding a tire with a different profile than was originally used may have used up all the clearance. The fender needs to be removed and a couple of lengths of 1/2" rubber hose taped to the tire, than lay the fender back over the tire to see if the holes need to be further modified.

When i first bought my dyna i found that the previous owner who had replaced the wheels had got a few things wrong with the clearances and it took me a wee while to work it all out and adjust things to where they ought to be in relation to each other
But a length of 1/2" hose and a round file should make this one an easy fix

Brian

Back