free website stats program Front Tire Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Tire Removal

dangerdan

I have the rear wheel off now and need to remove the front wheel. All the bolts are loose and the front wheel is barely touching the ground.

I have read the manual and the self help section on "Speedometer Inop".
and am concerned about damaging the Speedometer Drive. I dont want any surprises and l am looking for comformation on this proceedure.

The manual says to tap out the front axle to remove the front wheel, speedometer drive,spacer and speedometer drive seal ..

Do I have to support the drive unit as it clears the axle ?

It's not a difficult thing to do and once you remove it, you will be surprised how easy it is. Just remove the axle by sliding it out and the rest will just about fall out on it's own. It can hang there till you get ready for a reinstall. Just make sure when you put it back together that the little tab on the drive unit is in the hole in the wheel so you don't bend it. You'll see what I am referring to if you watch it as it comes apart.

Youre right, it all made sense, except for one tiny little problem.

The front wheel could not be removed till both front brake assemblies where removed. Even with all the air removed I could not compress tire enough to pass between the brake assembly

Other then that it was a piece of cake.

:cheers:cheers:cheers

Back