free website stats program Front SG wheel is on | Harley Davidson Forums

Front SG wheel is on

wannaride

I finally got the front SG wheel & tire on my 99 Ultra, ran into some issues with the rear that my machinist is working on. For the front all that was needed was a spacer made & machine a spot for the speedo tab to sit in & the speedo had to be machined do to the different style bearings. The rear, not so easy. First the rotor & the belt pulley distance is about 10mm shorter on the 06 SG wheel, the belt pulley hub hole is smaller, so spacers are being machined to space out the rotor & the pulley, once those are done then the spacers can be built & then I can install the rear. Hope to have it done for the week end so I can go ride. Will post some pics when I get them.

Toby

Sounds great but after "all is said & done", make absolutely sure the centerline of the front tire is directly over the centerline of the rear. Even if it means that the front tire is offset within the forks, the tracking line of each tire must be the same or superimposed on each other.

That is an absolute must.

Got the rear tire on, needed to shim my air shock out about a 1/8" since we moved the belt pulley out 3mm to help with clearance issues for running a wider rear tire.
Copyof100_1199-1.jpg

100_1206.jpg

100_1200.jpg

100_1204.jpg

100_1202.jpg

When I get it down off the lift I will check that. We used the centerline of the tire & the rotor as a reference, so it should be the same. Looks like it with the wheel on.

Toby

Sounds good.
I did a similar thing by replacing the rear swingarm, and took the tranny out to be machined up for the larger pivot axle. At the same time, I upgraded to a 6-speed, including speedo pick-up to get rid of the mechanical drive. I also got hold of 2007-up (pre cush-drive, so maybe only 2007?) rear wheel, pulley and 1" belt. This made room for a 150 tyre.
For the front I replaced the lowers with 2000-up type to fit newer wheel and 1" axle.
I love having a bike that handles (almost) like a new one, but with no laptops required to tune her...

I am going to do the rear swing arm upgrade soon I hope & will also go to the 1" belt when I do. On the 2000 up lowers were you able to run the same brakes?

Toby

Toby

Rode the Ultra to work & back yesterday, did great except for one small problem, the belt pulley rubs on the swing arm. When I talked to my machinist he said that the shim for the pulley he made was thicker than we discussed, we had talked about 4mm & he went 5mm due to the shim being thin to keep it from waving on the machine. I will look at my tire to see if there will be a problem to just remove the shim. I might just clearance the pulley, since I need a new one, just don't have the funds yet. As for tire placement being in line, I have not done any checks but the bike rode great & @ 70mph you can take your hands off the handlebars & it goes straight.

Toby

Back