free website stats program front pully splines stripped out | Harley Davidson Forums

front pully splines stripped out

the draggin

We have a 1992 FLHP that has twice now stripped out the splines on the inside of the pully and there is no visable wear on the transmission out-put shaft. The last time about two years ago the new pully fit snugly had to be tapped on. The lock-nut was install and torqued to factory specs. The locking collar was installed and torqued. Now the locking nut and lock collar are damaged beyond use. I have never seen anything like this before. Can anyone help?

I've seen this a couple of times and it seems that somehow the lock nut loosened up and that's what caused it.

I'm runnin' on memory here. I think they changed the pulley design around '96. The new design has two locking bolts, and more importantly the spline area is wider offering more surface area for the trans. shaft splines to contact. The early pulleys had a narrow contact area. You can tell if the pulley is newer either by two lock bolt holes, or the part number ends in -96 or higher.

The first time it was replaced it was with the two lock bolt plate and a new nut but the pully splines were the same. If the splines on the pully are larger then the output shaft would need to be changed also, is that not correct?

My 94 fxdwg had messed up a wee bit it looked like the nut had loosened and had worn where the lock plate had been gripping it replacement nut was coated on the threads with red loctite 262 most other nuts only use a couple of drop o may be that they are prone to coming loose

Brian

This happened to me too a couple of years ago. Now I am tearing the bike apart to get at a leaking trans seal and discovered that the drive sprocket is loose !!! The sprocket wobble has ground down most of the lip around the inner primary seal. Once again the nut had backed off.

I don't know how bad the sprocket is yet, as I have to go borrow a special socket to get that large nut off. But, with a wobble like I have, I'm guessing that it's toast.

I talked to a dealer and he said that they changed all that in late '94. So, I guest were are stuck with factory "test" parts.

We have a 1992 FLHP that has twice now stripped out the splines on the inside of the pully and there is no visable wear on the transmission out-put shaft. The last time about two years ago the new pully fit snugly had to be tapped on. The lock-nut was install and torqued to factory specs. The locking collar was installed and torqued. Now the locking nut and lock collar are damaged beyond use. I have never seen anything like this before. Can anyone help?

Look anything like this:

Image hosting, free photo sharing video sharing at Photobucket

If so, here is the story:

Bike broke - tranny! - Harley Davidson Community

Way different year, and they have changed the meganut. But same general stuff.

TQ

Yep that pretty much is it. We have no damage to the inner primary but the pully splines look exactly like that. I still can't see a cause. The design seems good, but apparently they are missing the level of torque and vibration that exists in this area. I don't recall ever seeing this with 4 speeds and shovelheads, and we all know the vibes going with them.. The output shaft splines are clean and crisp with no visible signs of wear but that doesn't mean anything I suppose.

I got looking around in catalogs and saw that Andrews has a "heat treated, gear quality" steel pulley. It costs a lot more (about $200) than other pulleys I saw listed, but if the spline area is stronger it may be worth the cost.

Back