free website stats program front master cylinder rebuild | Harley Davidson Forums

front master cylinder rebuild

C A C

Can anyone direct me to a diagram or instructions on rebuilding the front master cylinder on my 2004 sportster 1200 custom? I need to rebuild my master cylinder, but don't really know what to do.

Thanks

I couldn't find anything in the self help area on doing a master cylinder rebuild however it is not a difficult task
drain the system and remove the brake hose
loosen the bolts holding the master cylinder in place and slide gently away from the switches (helps prevent damage to the brake light switch)
fully remove the bolts and remove the master cylinder from the bike
turn the master cylinder over and remove the clip from the brake leaver pin push the pin out and remove the brake leaver
place the master cylinder on workbench with the brake hose hole up put a suitable blunt end rod into the hole till it rests on the piston inside and tap with a hammer
piston seals and spring should drop out of the other end take note of the exact order and orientation of all the parts
clean the inner bore a piece of round dowel with lint free cloth round it works for me
reassembly is the reverse order of disassembly ensure you take care when refitting the master cylinder that the heel on the brake leaver does not damage the brake light switch which is in the switch housing

Brian

thanks for the input everyone! it doesn't sound like a difficult task, but, having never done it before, i just wanted some input. Thank you.

You're never far from the best helpers in the world as long as you've got internet with this site bookmarked!

Back