free website stats program front master cyclinder seal leaking | Harley Davidson Forums

front master cyclinder seal leaking

deers45

any body else have this prob. had an 07 fatboy and now the street glide has brake fluid leaking from cap. and ruining the paint on the master cyclinder resivoir. need to get a new rubber seal ? or is there something aftermarket that will solve the prob for good before it gets on anything else.

any body else have this prob. had an 07 fatboy and now the street glide has brake fluid leaking from cap. and ruining the paint on the master cyclinder resivoir. need to get a new rubber seal ? or is there something aftermarket that will solve the prob for good before it gets on anything else.

Go ahead and get a new gasket for it and DONT overtighten the screws. Over torquing will cause the gasket to seep. Also make sure you use the recommended brake fluid for your scoot.

i had the same problem with my 07 LR. i used my torque wrench when i removed the top and found that who ever had taken if off before, or maybe even from assembly had over torqued the bolts. its a low torque get a new seal, torque correctly and all should be fixed. if memory serves me i think it is 14 in. lbs. not sure on that tho.

Screws to tight and/or the cap might be warped. Lay on a flat surface to make sure.

If you cannot feel the torque rise as you tighten the screws use a torque wrench or torque screwdriver.

I used to work in a Harley shop and saw this frequently. When this happened the guys usually would install a chrome cover. The above suggestions are right on. My 2008 has not leaked and have changed brake fluid at 10,000 miles. Proper torque is the key.

07 models were covered under factory recall check your dealer :p

Put the chrome one on. It should come with a new gasket. The bling looks good and gives ya something to polish. You will like it better.:cheers

Same problem on my "08SG on front and rear cylinder. A trick my indie co. showed was to remove gasket and wash with mild dish soap and water. Put back on completely dry and don't over tighten as mentioned in other responses.

What Craig Lee said makes sense...if your brake fluid is etylene-glycol (DOT 3,4, 5.1) based, it IS water soluable...so if you wash it with clear soap and water and dry it, the time that it is out, with cool water clean and rinse...the O-ring style gasket will expand a bit to return closer to original size and shape. Cleaning and drying it and the groove it sits in allows tighter fit without contaminants in the groove or "seepage".

i have the same prob, the foot brake resivoir, mines a 2005 RKC
do any of you know a were i can order a chrome one from?? and are the top and bottom the same size??
i've found top cover chrome but not bottom

Back