free website stats program Front Forks and Carb Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Forks and Carb Question

shanedawg

Gents,
I hope someone can help me with this. I blew my fork seals about 2 weeks ago and beings I was going to have the front end apart I decided to upgrade to the Progressive Springs. Well when I was taking it apart the forks were hard as (EDITED) to get out it took about 20 min of twisting and puling for the left one, but on the right one I couldn't get it to budge and ending up having to use a hammer and punch. So after I got the tubes all back together, I went to reinstall them and the left one went in nice and smooth and when it came to the other it went smooth all the way to the top tree, that is when I noticed the hole was off almost 1/4 inch and had to use some man muscle and prying to get it in. Once I got it in I had to use the top end bolt to bring it all the way to the top. I have had a wobble when I get around 75-80mph, could this be caused from the trees being a little twisted? Has anyone heard of this before?

My second question is, when first start the bike up she fires right up, but if I ride about 3 miles to the nearest gas station, shut her off fill her up and then go to start her, she is real sluggish to start and black smoke runs out the exhaust, but if I were to let her set for about 15-20 min she fires right up without a problem and no black smoke. What could be the cause for this? Sorry this is a long post and I want to thank you in advance for your advice and knowledge.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

What kind of handle bars you got on it? I got 16" apes and it wobbles @ about 75,but if you take your hand(either one) off the bars and grab the triple tree it goes away.Must be due to riding position is where I'm going with it.Only bars that have ever done it on the same bike(had stock bars,drag bars and mini apes also).Hope that helps.

I have 18" Apes, I thought it was just the riding position as well. Because, sometimes it will do it and sometimes it won't. That was until I took the front end apart and noticed that the tree's were off, so then my mind started wondering towards that.

I know the carb has been jetted out but not for sure to what size. Could it be that it is getting to much fuel and it almost floods itself, but when I let it sit for 15 min or more the fuel settles and it fires right up no smoke nothing? Just my opinion, anyone else have any thoughts on this.

I have 18" Apes, I thought it was just the riding position as well. Because, sometimes it will do it and sometimes it won't. That was until I took the front end apart and noticed that the tree's were off, so then my mind started wondering towards that.

I know the carb has been jetted out but not for sure to what size. Could it be that it is getting to much fuel and it almost floods itself, but when I let it sit for 15 min or more the fuel settles and it fires right up no smoke nothing? Just my opinion, anyone else have any thoughts on this.

Could be a pilot jet too rich. Close your mixture screw all the way while idling and see if it stumbles or dies (count your turns). If it does not stumble and stays idling your pilot jet is likely to large. If thats the case pull the bowl and see what pilot jet you have in there and mabye go a size smaller. Glider has some awesome carb tips in the self help section.

Hi, from what you have posted, i would have said the yokes are not aligned with each other. The fork sliders should have slid in with no prying.
Try refitting them with the fender removed and the top nut loose. If the sliders are tight in the yokes get a screwdriver and use it as a wedge where the pinch points are until it slides in smooth. No way should it be that far out of aligment.

As to your fuel problem, you could start at the choke and make sure it is not sticking on.
Hope you get it sorted soon.

I thought they should slide easy as well. The lower tree is the only one that has the pinch bolt and both forks slid nice through the lower tree and like I said the first fork I put on went it good a little sticky but not bad at all. Then I get to the second fork and it goes through the lower tree nice but when I got to the top tree the fork did line up with the hole at all, it was off about 1/4" that is when I had to push the fork towards the back of the bike and the top tree towards the front to get it lined up and in the tree enough to get the bolt on it and suck it the rest of the way to the top. Has anyone ever heard of the trees being twisted or out of alignment like that?

I thought they should slide easy as well. The lower tree is the only one that has the pinch bolt and both forks slid nice through the lower tree and like I said the first fork I put on went it good a little sticky but not bad at all. Then I get to the second fork and it goes through the lower tree nice but when I got to the top tree the fork did line up with the hole at all, it was off about 1/4" that is when I had to push the fork towards the back of the bike and the top tree towards the front to get it lined up and in the tree enough to get the bolt on it and suck it the rest of the way to the top. Has anyone ever heard of the trees being twisted or out of alignment like that?

Were you using new tubes? Either way, did you roll them on something flat to make sure they are not bent? I would bet if you simply rotate the tube(s) you will find that it lines up with no problem. But that indicates that the tube(s) is bent and you will likely have to change out the seals again in the not too distant future (and replace any bent tubes).

TQ

Last edited:
Dude unless the bike was wrecked your trees should be ok.trust me on the riding position that's it.Iv'e been running apes for 20+ years and thats it.With that said your tubes maybe bent,but to bend them you probly hit something pretty hard and it would act squirly immediately.

As TQ says and judging by your observation that the tubes did not slide in the bores evenly and smoothly. "Man-force" should only have been necessary for compressing the springs and should have been even. You need to get back in there as the fork stiction, as improper mating will cause fork seal failure in a short time...like swapping the inner tubes on each leg.

Rolling the inner tubes on a flat surface would have told the story, as fork stresses at the "included angle" already invites twisting forces and bent unknowingly. If you turn the fork to the left and push slightly on the wheel you will see the forks flex. Extended forks only make the problem worse, and adding a fork brace help prevent this flex in the future.

As far as the fueling/carb issue, may have vapor lock or overfilling issues or small leak pooling fuel somewhere.

Last edited:
Back