free website stats program front fork problem | Harley Davidson Forums

front fork problem

I have a 2004 heritage noticed when I hit a bump I would feel something in the front, I raised the bike and found that by grabbing the front wheel that it would move back and forth,I checked where the front end mounts to the frame and was good then noticed that the lower arm where it goes below the chrome cover was where the movement is almost like it is pivoting where the stem goes into the housing of the lower stem but I can't see because of the chrome cover,it seems like if there is a bushing that went bad but have never dealt with anything like this. help needed

there is no movement in the steering stem at all. All the movement is at the lower arms and seems to be under the chrome cover where I think it's where the rod goes into the lower arm but can't see. None of the front assy moves at all , the handle bars,windshield,headlights,tree do not move at all only the lower arms and the wheel moves with the arms -wheel only moves with the lower arms. help plz

Having trouble when you say "the lower arms where the rod goes into the lower arm", are you referring to the lower triple tree where the fork tubes go through?

the lower fork slider tube-the lower tube with the reflector on it and that the wheel mounts to. That is the only thing that is moving. When I jack the bike up I can grab the axle/wheel and it moves back and forth. I can see the rod above the slider cover from the tree but the slider cover - covers where the rod goes in to the lower fork and thats where the movement is. where the chrome cover overlaps the lower fork you can see it moving back and forth.
I hope I'm making sence.

That makes a bit more sense now. It's the lower leg you were talking about rocking on the fork tube. With any movement in there, the leg has to come apart and be rebuilt to eliminate the play.

I doubt it's covered on an 04 unless you have an extended warranty then it may be covered. They only had a 1 year I believe.

Back