free website stats program Front fender woes... | Harley Davidson Forums

Front fender woes...

EnjoyingTheRyde

I'm DONE with pledge! Just kidding but the pledge can did my front fender in. A tree fell during a recent storm, hit the corner of the roof which rattled the pledge can off the shelf and onto my front fender. It made a perfect "C" on the top of the fender near the right side from the can landing bottom first. $632 for a painted replacement from HD. Anybody have any other ideas? Will an aftermarket work and from who? How difficult is it for a shop to spray merlot sunglo?

My "idea" is a bit too late for you. I always keep an old throw rug over my front fender(s) when in the garage. It's amazing how many things have a penchant for scratching and dinging our paint.

Makes you wanna spit dont it? My FIRST day with my RKC, a 1978 Ford Pickup, parked in my garage, decided to pop gear and roll back out of the garage. Only to be stopped by a 2003 RKC's front end. and I watched it all.

My paint is Root Beer Brown with Metalic Flake, so I was ready to sell kids to fix it ( joke). I got on Craigslist, found a front fender for 50 bucks. It was gloss black. I took it to a buddy that does custom paint - total - $150. It took 3 days. What I'm saying is - Hit Craigslist.

It was all my fault - I didnt set the brake.....thankfully, the bike stayed up.

FWIW, every bike that I have ever owned, and i have had five of them, has had some kind of a dent or gash on the gas tank. :( Either I dropped a helmet on it or I bought it used that way. My current bike is the only one that doesn't have a mark, ding, or dent on the tank. Which is not to say that I don't have scratches or dings on other places on the bike because I do but at least the are out of sight when I sit on the bike! :p
Bummer that freak accident like that had to happen to you.

Any good painter can match colors so true...it's not visible to the eye when trying to find imperfections. My older brother has this talent. He used to fix/paint old farm trucks that sat in sun for many years, but he could paint & match parts so you couldn't see where he did the fix. Spendy pledge story, but maybe time to add some "flair" to the tins...??

Any good painter can match colors so true...it's not visible to the eye when trying to find imperfections. My older brother has this talent. He used to fix/paint old farm trucks that sat in sun for many years, but he could paint & match parts so you couldn't see where he did the fix. Spendy pledge story, but maybe time to add some "flair" to the tins...??

I like the idea of adding a little "flair" to my fender! Anybody have custom front fenders on their FL? Can we see some pics?

My "idea" is a bit too late for you. I always keep an old throw rug over my front fender(s) when in the garage. It's amazing how many things have a penchant for scratching and dinging our paint.
I do the same. I always cover the front fender. It is just is out there like a magnet.

How difficult is it for a shop to spray merlot sunglo?

I would take a ride over to an automotive paint supply just to inquire & see if the paint is available by paint number code like automotive paints are. If it is a 2 stage paint that someone such as PPG makes, I would say you have it made.
I would base the complexity of the entire job (if you plan on re-painting) on if the paint is available by paint code from someone other than HD.

A buddy of mine had a Kawasaki 750 that had a similar scratch. Come to find out there is tinted primer, 3 transparent base coats plus a clear coat to the paint build. So you just never know until you go to a paint supplier.

I got a nice pair of tanks for my softail earlier this year and took the tanks with a pair of fenders to the paint shop at my local ford dealer they were able to match the paint and pinstripes without a problem if the fenders are off a wee shade from the tanks they would be too far away from each other to see the difference
so any good paint shop should be able to get a near perfect match for colour

Brian

Back