free website stats program Front end wobble | Harley Davidson Forums

Front end wobble

Captn Mike

I have noticed that my bike (2008 Electra glide classic) starts to wobble at approx. 82mph. I am thinking that this may be caused by an out of balance tire. The tires are new (3 months old) and were balanced when they were installed. Any ideas would be appreciated. Captn. Mike

I have noticed that my bike (2008 Electra glide classic) starts to wobble at approx. 82mph. I am thinking that this may be caused by an out of balance tire. The tires are new (3 months old) and were balanced when they were installed. Any ideas would be appreciated. Captn. Mike

Try Tire Balancing Products some balance-rs are set for or calibrated for up to 60 mph, may be a weight fell off?

Other possibilities:
  • Significant crosswind at the time of occurance
  • Wheel alignment
  • Vehicle alignment (engine in frame)
  • Loose steering head adjustment
  • Steering head or swingarm bearings bad
  • Loose motor mount, engine stabilizer, or swingarm shaft
  • Loose spokes or wheel out of round
Good luck,
Rich P

Did the wobble start right after the new tires went on, or did it just start on the last ride? There are a lot of good suggestions posted so you have some places to start. If you had the bike loaded with baggage and it was not balanced this can cause some handling issues. Rear swingarm not torqued to specs have caused some members problems. And sad to say sometimes you get a bad tire.

Thanks to all you for sending me some things to check out. I'm thinking possibly loose steering head adjustment. How would I go about checking that or is it something a shop would have to do. I'll also check the self help area. Thanks again!

Back