free website stats program Front End Wobble on '94 Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Front End Wobble on '94 Sportster

Hello All,

I have a 1994 XLHC 883 with 22k on it. Running Metzler 880 Marathons tires. I love riding my bike as often as possible but, as of late I have found that my front end seems to be "touchy" as if the bike wants to come out from under me with the slightest of movements. I usually ride on the same roads so road surfaces shouldn't be a factor, I've checked tire pressures which stay at Manufactures recommended specs of 30psi front 36psi rear. It's My front tire does have a bit of weather cracking on the sidewall but nothing major. Is there anything I should look for that might be a cause? I am somewhat mechanically inclined but also don't want to mess anything up or cause further issues.

I must mention that the bike was in an accident before I took ownership and had alot of front end work done, but, since owning it I have never felt this before until the past 2 rides I've taken. I'm just concerned that something may get worse or result in a crash and like everyone here, I really want to avoid that! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

My sportster is a 93 so similar age to yours I have found that using a pressure of 38 psi front and rear works well for me although I have only had Dunlop and avon tyres fitted
I do believe that metzler tyres often require a higher pressure than stock bearing in mind that Harley will recommend the pressure for the stock tyre so if you run a different tyre often the tyre manufacturer has their own pressure recommendation
Otherwise check tyre pressure cold then run bike till tyres are warm then check pressure again you are looking for hot tyre to be about 4psi greater than cold pressure if pressure increase is more than 4psi cold pressure is to low etc

Brian

Thanks for the response Brian! I should have worded the title of this thread a bit different as I don't have a wobble but more less a unstable feeling as if the tire doesn't have much contact with the road and I feel as though the front end is riding on ice. I will definitely put the psi specs that Metzeler has for my specific tire (36 front-40 rear) and give that a shot to see if it goes away. Thanks again

I must mention that the bike was in an accident before I took ownership and had alot of front end work done,

I'm pretty sure your year bike uses roller bearings unlike the late model bike which have sealed ball bearings. You may want to jack the bike up off the ground and check the side play in the wheel bearings. If by chance you have the incrorrect shims for proper end-play, the extra sideplay would certainly give you that feeling while riding. End play should be next to nothing.
It will also give you a chance to feel and listen for a bad wheel bearing.

Just to put an end on this topic, I had to replace my throttle cables shortly after having this issue and went ahead and replaced the 2 missing wheel weights and all is good! she is riding straight and true!! Crazy to think 2 1/4 oz. weights make such a huge impact..

Thanks for the update and it is often the overlooked simple things that can have us perplexed

Brian

Back