free website stats program Front end clunk on '09 model FXDF. | Harley Davidson Forums

Front end clunk on '09 model FXDF.

M' one.

Noticed front end clunk when going over bumps and under braking.I checked stem nut and noticed that it did have the updated hardened washer fitted. I assume Harley eventually corrected this on '09 model bikes in the factory! I then checked the Fall Away and found it to be only 1 1/4" each side of centre. Iwas expecting it to be somewhere between 2" - 3" each side of centre. I'm thinking stem nut may not be torqued to the new figure of 70 to 80ft.lbs. Any one got any thoughts on this? I'm going to investigate the actual torque soon but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not at all uncommon on a new bike for the bearings to seat in and the "clunking" begins. Run it by the dealers and let them take care of it.

If the bearings are very loose the fallaway will appear in spec or even tight like yours.Get the front wheel in the air and check for play by grabbing the forks at the axle and pulling front to beck.If there's any play the bearings are loose.You could also check the stem nut torque.Sometimes when the play is right the stem nut is too loose even with the updated set-up.

Thanks for the reply Fisher, just had the stem nut torque checked and it was somewhere between 50-60ft.lbs. Retorqued to 80ft.lbs. and fall away checked, rode about 40 miles and no clunk.

Great stuff, this is my first time on this forum I also have the clunc noise on my FXDF I will now take it to the dealer to have it checked. Thanks

Back