free website stats program Front End Banging when hitting bumps? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front End Banging when hitting bumps?

Go by specs.
Additional oil quantity will make for a stiff and hard riding front end.

I did it backward. I put back in what I took out. I figured the factory fill would have to be right. It was a good 2 oz per leg.

I am amazed that the service manual spec could be so far off from the factory fill. And BOTH legs were overfilled by the same exact amount. I always try to do everything right,,,I buy the books,,,read every detail,,,make accurate measurements etc,, and you wind up with these crazy mis-matches and puzzles.

I really can't tell if the bike rides hard because I bought it overfilled so I nothing to compare it to.
Do you think a stiffer front end would give me better or worse front tire traction going over bumps?

The stiffer front end because of overfilling gives you a hard ride so to me that translates into a tire with less contact with the road.

so to me that translates into a tire with less contact with the road.

That's what I was afraid of. The next time I change the leg oil (another 5K), I am going to go by the book on the refill.

I probably should have started a thread back when I was changing the oil. That would have been the smart thing to do. :swoon

I have 06 Dyna Low Rider and I am getting this banging in front end everytime I hit any small bumps. Any thoughts ? thanks

A couple things come to mind
1. Neck bearings
2. The jiffy stand rubber bumper missing or out of adjustment
3. Motor mount bolts loose
4. Some loose or missing front breaks.
5. Not sure if this applies. Are the forks leaking fluid ?

I had the same problem last month and I phyically checked every nut and bolt on the front end. My problem turned out to be sheared motor mount bolts.
Just take your time and good luck finding that problem

I had the same issue on my 07 DL. The service manual torque is 10-18 lbs on the front tank bolt. It took a full 18 to fix the noise. Thanks to Hunter78 for the post and all the great replies.

Had the same problem a few months back. Found the fuel tank mounting bolts were loose. Tightened them up, problem solved. Hope yours is this easy.

Back