free website stats program Front cylinder not firing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front cylinder not firing

Are you sure the meter is set on the right scale? There shouldn't be more than 12 -14.5 volts anywhere outside of the coil and the output of the stator.

Well, I'm no electrician, so it's possible I have it on the wrong scale, what scale should I be using? There are two V scales on my particular meter, I was using the V~ scale.

Your using the Volts AC scale which is wrong. Also be sure your not reading 30MV AC. I could see you getting a reading of 30 milli volts AC since you could be reading the AC ripple of the B+.

Place the meter scale in DC volts and try again.

Hoop!

I had the same problem. After changing plugs, wires, coil, ignition module found the ignition module had a wire chafed thru on the harness and was grounding out.

Hoop, thank you for setting me straight, I'll try it again tonight.

Bob, you said you had the same problem, was it on a Nightster also? How did you fix it?

OK, I checked the DC voltage coming off the factory injector plug (several times) and I continue to get a reading of 13.5. I checked the wiring visually as much as possible and see no sign of chafing or breaks. If anyone has any more ideas please pass along, not sure what I can do next except take it to the dealer and hope for a quick fix. Thanks for all the help so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give it a try with the engine running, move the injector wires around under the tank and see if it misfires.

I'd get 'hold of a Twin-Scan, SERT, etc. and watch what's happening as far as the ECM's concerned, and take it from there.

Be very careful sticking probes into wiring sockets. It's way too easy to deform the female part resulting in poor/intermittent connections. If it happens, disassemble the connector and carefully repair it.

Tried moving the wires around while the bike was running and still nothing.

I just ran the diagnostic on the bike and came up with P0261 and P0262 which both relate to the front injector. I was able to clear the codes but haven't ran the bike yet, my three year old is napping and the bike is not exactly toddler friendly when it comes to the shortshots. Will start it up soon and let you know how it goes from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I finally took the bike in to the dealer and it turns out the injectors needed to be replaced. They didn't charge me a dime since the warranty is still in effect. Thanks Guam Harley, great job. Bike's running great again and I'm happy once more.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Back