free website stats program front brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

front brakes

rqball

I replaced the front pads on my 2002 dresser,bled the system and had good hand lever. Roll the bike a few feet and no lever or feel all the way to the grip. Pump a couple of times and lever is back up. Roll the bike, no lever. I"ve back-bled to the master cyclinder, same results. Inspecting the calipers while still on the bike, i noticed the 2 outside pistons on both sides don't seem fully retracted although the bike rolls freely with a little pad scuffing noise. Riding the bike, i can pump a couple of times and have plenty of brake. Continue riding and next time to apply brakes, no handlever. Any suggestions? Rqball

I'm sure someone will have run across this before, but I can tell you you should not ride the bike untill it is resolved.

I replaced the front pads on my 2002 dresser,bled the system and had good hand lever. Roll the bike a few feet and no lever or feel all the way to the grip. Pump a couple of times and lever is back up. Roll the bike, no lever. I"ve back-bled to the master cyclinder, same results. Inspecting the calipers while still on the bike, i noticed the 2 outside pistons on both sides don't seem fully retracted although the bike rolls freely with a little pad scuffing noise. Riding the bike, i can pump a couple of times and have plenty of brake. Continue riding and next time to apply brakes, no handlever. Any suggestions? Rqball

Brake Caliper Maintenance - Harley Davidson Community have a look here

You should not see the pistons "retract". The pistons only relax not retract.

Your saying all is fine UNTIL you roll the wheel forward a couple of feet? Lift the wheel off the ground and spin it. Do you you see any noticeable runout in the rotors?

I would be starting with a rebuild of the master cylinder as the piston is going all the way in and not pushing the fluid so the seals must be folding back

Brian

Thanks for your quik replies. Not any noticeable runout. Looked through the brake caliper maintenance. Everything proper. I'll post when i figure it out. Thanks again.

What happens if you pump the lever until it gets hard, and then just keep holding it? Does it bleed down? If yes, then I think it's a master cylinder problem. If no, then it's probably in the rotor pushing the pistons too far back into the caliper.

IF the brake pads have shims on them check that they are in properly -if the shims or pads are off a bit they will retract the pistons - also make sure the slider pins (if equiped) move freely & lubed .

Back