free website stats program Front Brake Travel | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Brake Travel

Very important not to mix them or a rebuild is in order. The mixture turns into something between BB's and jel.

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years by time not by mileage if its only done 5 miles in 2 years should still be changed as dot 4 brake fluid is hygroscopic (water blends in with the fluid over time) the water in the fluid boils and turns to steam under breaking heat and steam is compressible
long travel not much breaking
however you bike may require dot 5 brake fluid which is silicone based and non hygroscopic any fluid pools in the system and can cause corrosion in places
don't mix glycol based (DOT4) and silicon based (DOT5) brake fluids as they will sludge and compromise the seals
so you need to know whats in there and whats supposed to be in there before you proceed to change or bleed the fluid

Brian

HD DOT 5 Brake Fluid is sold with the following disclaimer: "Fits all models (except '05-later Touring models, '06-later VRSC™, Dyna®, Softail® and '07 Sportster® models)

HD DOT 4 Brake Fluid is sold with this disclaimer: "Fits '05-later Touring and '06-later VRSC™, Dyna® and Softail® and '07 Sportster® models.".

DOT 5.1 (glycol base) can be used (mixed) with the other NON DOT 5 fluids without a problem but I prefer to use the fluid that was the original factory fill .

Police bikes have been using the DOT 4 because of the ABS brake system.

Mixing of the DOT 5 (silicone) with any of the other DOT brake fluids (glycol based) will cause jelling in the brake system and will need a complete overhaul with dis assembly and flushing of all related parts and replacement of any affected seals.

Also this too...

Paying Attention To Brake Fluid - Harley Davidson Community

i hope this helps. the april issue of american iron in the hog helpline had a similar question. i will quote the response- the dual disc brakes in 2003 were notorious for having a lot of lever travel. many riders weren't comfortable with the low lever. the author believes it has to do with the size and position of the bleed holes in the master cylinder. the holes were changed in subsequent years to give better lever feel. replace the master cyl. with the latest superseding part. as i said earlier, american iron mag, page 154

Back