Front Brake Problems?

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by EMGLIDE, Oct 10, 2008.

1. EMGLIDE

EMGLIDE Member

Just Wondering If Anybody Knows About Or Has Experienced Any Front Brake Prolems On A 08 Touring Model Bike. Ive Expeienced A Problem 3 Times Now.the Problem Is At Low Speed And Lightly Applying The Front Brake The Wheel Will Seem To Lock Up And Skid,this Has Happened 3 Times To Me And Im Now Getting Concerned About Riding The Bike As This Has Caused Me To Have A Slow Speed Lay Over On The Bike[5mph Or Less],fortunately No Major Damage Was Done Just Light Scratches On Crash Bar Which Dealer Is Replacing Already Due To Peeling Chrome. I Did Notice That A Couple Of Weeks Ago The Front Brakes Were Making Some Light Squealing Noises From The Pads,but Was Stopping Ok.any Thoghts Would Be Helpful,my Bike Is A 08 Egc.

2. SledDog

SledDog Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

Was the fall using the front brake during a turn? You really don't want to use the front brake while turning at low speeds. The available mount of traction for the front wheel is low in this situation. Just a tap of the front brake will cause the wheel to lock up. The probablity of this happening is even greater if there is sand/dirt on the road.

The squealing could be from a couple of different things... Sand/dirty under the pads, a mis-aligned pad

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

I have to second what SledDog mentioned. Also take a look for any leakage around the pads too. That may cause the problem you are having with grabbing brakes.

4. biscuit

biscuit Junior Member

Do you have ABS fitted to the bike?