free website stats program Front brake problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Front brake problem

I have a 2004 Roadglide with 20K miles and about 5k miles ago the front brakes began to get a lot of play and feel spongy. I replaced the brake fluid and bleed the brakes a couple of times. This didn't fix the problem I then put in new master cylinder piston and this didn't fix it either. Any suggestions??? Also what is a good upgrade to do for better braking.

Also, the front end seems to go clunck when I go over speed bumps.

Thanks,

Mark

A good upgrade for the pads alone would be the Lyndall Z brake pads, they don't dust like the stock pads do.

As far as the clunk, it's more than likely the steering head adjustment that is needed here to eliminate it, very common problem. It outlines it in the factory manual under "fall away" in the front end section.

"feel spongy"

There is a great tip in the self help that I have used about bleeding the air from the brake line.

Pull in the brake lever and using tape or a bungy cord wrap it around the brake lever and hand grip and leave it for 24 hrs. Using the wooden end of a hammer or rubber mallet tap on the calipers and master cylinder a few times.

If there is any air in the system it will rise to the top. Release the bungy cord, check fluid level and try the brakes.

Thanks for the info.

Where is the best place to buy the Lyndall Z pads? Also, will this improve my breaking performance?

Thanks,

Thanks for the info.

Where is the best place to buy the Lyndall Z pads? Also, will this improve my breaking performance?

Thanks,

You can call them and speak to Paul sr or jr and they will recommend the best pads for your setup either the gold pads or the Z pads.The[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif] Gold have superior braking force which is good on front brakes and the Z pads have very little brake dust which is nice[/FONT] too.
I believe if you mention the forum, you will get a 10% discount too.

Lyndall Racing Brakes - The worlds best Brake Pads Composite Rotors --- Home ---

also this might be reaching but changing the brake line might not be a bad Idea. A good braided line is a little spendy, but will reduce the "spongy" feeling because there is less give in the line.

What do you think about stainless steel brake lines?

Do they increase performance? Are they worth the money? Best place to buy?

Goodridge makes a good brake line and they're definitely worth the money to me. As far as the best place to buy one it all depends on where you are.....I usually buy on the net but a dealer might make it easier. A stock length stainless brake line isn't too hard to find.....Dennis Kirk, JP Cycles, maybe even JC Whitney.

Back