free website stats program front brake not lighting brakelight | Harley Davidson Forums

front brake not lighting brakelight

I put a set set of Harley Speedster handlebars on my Fatboy awhile back and after I got the controls back on, no brake light. I did no disturb the plunger or stop switch, only neglected to reinstall the copper wedge. I have installed the wedge according to service manual, I think. My questions are: what role does the wedge play? Simply put, how does it work? Thanks in advance:newsmile090:

Sorry hillbilly dlux, you probably have already damaged the little plastic insert of the brake light switch in the lever assembly by not putting the wedge in. What happens is it gets snagged and breaks pretty easily without a penny-orangestick wedge or shim. Once you have it apart you will see what happened...:17:

I put a set set of Harley Speedster handlebars on my Fatboy awhile back and after I got the controls back on, no brake light. I did no disturb the plunger or stop switch, only neglected to reinstall the copper wedge. I have installed the wedge according to service manual, I think. My questions are: what role does the wedge play? Simply put, how does it work? Thanks in advance:newsmile090:

Your brake light is on, check if your switch parts are forced together with the handle bar brake clamp. The tab on the brake lever pushes or turns off the micro switch ( rubber bump protruding from the switch)

Loosen the 2 torx #25 screws and push the switch toward the clamp, that's if the tab is not broken.

Al

Eleft36 makes a good point, if the footbrake switch operates the brake light properly, the problem is definitely in the hand control lever/switch actuator. Again, sometimes knowing what DOES work helps troubleshooting as well. :s

had paint work done on my ele-glide and they lost copper spacer and rear brake light stayed on and they did not know what i was talking about had to go to shop and found out they donot sell just spacer. but i know the shop manager had one in his box. put it in and it was fixed.

Back