free website stats program Front brake noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Front brake noise

KING01

On my 01 roadking, i am running a stock single disc brake. When the bike starts to move, i can hear the front brakes making the noise as if the pads are touching the disc. When i apply the brake, the sound goes away. I am sure it is a simple fix, but unsure where to start. Thanks in advance:)

King01, if there is a light "swish" sound and nothing more, I would not worry about it. HD brakes are "single action" meaning the piston pressure pushes the inner pad towards the disc, the caliper floating over it pulls the outer pad into engagement. When you release, the pressure relaxes, but it is up to the runout of the disc to gently nudge the pads and the piston back into the bore, hence the slightly uneven light drag.

If either pads exhibit a "moaning" sound or show heavy drag if you elevate the bike and spin the wheel OR when you roll the bike forward or back several yards manually, you probably need to service the calipers, by flushing the breaking system with wather over a disposible rag first...then following the Self Help Tip(s) attached:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/brakes_tires_and_wheels/2887-brake_caliper_maintenance.html

On my 01 roadking, i am running a stock single disc brake. When the bike starts to move, i can hear the front brakes making the noise as if the pads are touching the disc. When i apply the brake, the sound goes away. I am sure it is a simple fix, but unsure where to start. Thanks in advance:)

I have found IF the pads are GOOD and wear is EVEN..... I might pull caliper brake OFF the bike and CLEAN the total area around the caliper PLUNGER which is usually dirty, dusty from the brake use and road dust.. read on for MY WAY

*****careful and don't squeeze the brake handle if you go this way.

I WON"T recommend THIS for you..THE TRUTH IS : I USE HIGH PRESSURE (water hose and soap) right into the brake area......... WHEN I do this, all the black stuff comes out and off.. Keeps mine clean as a baby.
I have NEVER had a problem with my brakes by doing this and MINE SEEM ALWAYS QUIET....... HUH !

I always have replaced my pads with the HD replacements and only a few times I used custom chrome or another LESSER$ pad but seemed to get the best results and wear out of the HD stock replacement product... over 350,000 miles riding many HARLEYS never a problem from CLEANING my brakes this way.

Some here will tell you to use a Spray Can of "Break Clean"... either when apart or together off-on the bike... works good but YOUR CHOICE! IF ANY

Hearing the sound of the pads, as QUIET as you described, is NORMAL drag as they have NO return device ,,,,, HEARING means you don't have your bike LOUD ENOUGH..

THAT'S the WAY I DO IT.
signed....BUBBIE

King01, if there is a light "swish" sound and nothing more, I would not worry about it. HD brakes are "single action" meaning the piston pressure pushes the inner pad towards the disc, the caliper floating over it pulls the outer pad into engagement. When you release, the pressure relaxes, but it is up to the runout of the disc to gently nudge the pads and the piston back into the bore, hence the slightly uneven light drag.

If either pads exhibit a "moaning" sound or show heavy drag if you elevate the bike and spin the wheel OR when you roll the bike forward or back several yards manually, you probably need to service the calipers, by flushing the breaking system with wather over a disposible rag first...then following the Self Help Tip(s) attached:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/brakes_tires_and_wheels/2887-brake_caliper_maintenance.html

Not to question your wisdom , but did you mean flush the system with water ??
I thought water depending on your brake fluid was a NO NO.
How would one make sure that the system is completely purged of all moisture.

Dan

Thanks very much. Just need to start with the basics and remove the calipers so i can check the condition of the pads. Then either clean or replace them. Thanks for the tips.

Not to question your wisdom , but did you mean flush the system with water ??
I thought water depending on your brake fluid was a NO NO.
How would one make sure that the system is completely purged of all moisture.

Dan

Water hose low pressure or small plastic container and brush should flush out most of the loose stuff and debris. Just trying to keep as much of that crud out of the storm drains. Then you use Gliders procedure to clean them up the rest of the way. The braking system by design is water resistant so no harm no foul, and no solvents that can attack plastics or seals. Just my way.

I misunderstood. I thought you were using water to clean the brake lines

You are correct though, once inside the braking system only denatured alcohol or proper fresh brake fluid should be used to flush parts; no shop or paper towels that can create lint particles to contaminate the 1/10,000ths clearance between the bore and pistons.:newsmile014:

You can see why brake fluid will "normally" not squeeze through if the seals are doing their job, and stronger solvents or petroleum products are a big no-no. :23:

Back