free website stats program front brake master cylinder | Harley Davidson Forums

front brake master cylinder

jtolson

Has any one installed a front master cylinder kit with out removing the brake line. At the H-D shop they said I don't have to. This was the parts guy who told me, looking at the instruction it looks like it can be done.

I have usually found that the piston does not come out easily and when doing a rebuild i will use a wooden dowel as a drift in through the brake line fitting on to the face of the piston and a couple of taps with a rubber mallet usually gets it out and there is usually a bit of mess with bake fluid
Previous experience tells me to not even attempt to do it with the master cylinder still on the bike bear in mind that glycol based brake fluids are very good paint stripper although your bike i think should be using silicon based brake fluid which is ok i would not trust my paintwork to the chance that a previous owner always used the correct fluid

Brian

Thanks for the info, I will remove it and work off my bench. I now I need to go get the washers.:newsmile099:

In the past i have reused the banjo bolt washers without issue however it is good practise to replace them
please keep us updated on how your rebuild goes

Brian

Back