free website stats program Front Brake Lever Switch | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Brake Lever Switch

I recently purchased an 06 Electra Glide and the cruise control was working erratically. I have figured out the problem. I can move the front brake lever in any direction and the brake light comes on. There is a problem with the switch, but unfortunatley I am not sure how to remove the lever and I don't know what is inside. Anyone had any problems with this and have a solution, or a good picture of what's inside.

Thanks
David Welch

I recently purchased an 06 Electra Glide and the cruise control was working erratically. I have figured out the problem. I can move the front brake lever in any direction and the brake light comes on. There is a problem with the switch, but unfortunatley I am not sure how to remove the lever and I don't know what is inside. Anyone had any problems with this and have a solution, or a good picture of what's inside.

Thanks
David Welch

Replacing Front Brake Light Switch - Harley Davidson Community look at this first

Could also be the bushings in the brake lever. I didn't have cruise on the RK but it affected the brake light function. Replaced the bushings...all good.

Grab a service manual for your bike, it will pay for itself. I had the same problem with my 06 RKC. It was the front brake switch. The switch had broke and was not engaged by the lever, therefore the ECM read it to mean my brake was on so my cruise would not work. I just removed the lever and wrapped duct tape around the the portion of the lever that rests against the brake switch. this duct was working over a year later when I traded my bike in. good luck

I looked at pictures of the front brake assembly. Do I need to remove the actual brake lever by removing the pin, or can I remove some of the housing to see the switch. As it stand now I can just jiggle the lever in any direction and it turns the brake light off and on.

I looked at pictures of the front brake assembly. Do I need to remove the actual brake lever by removing the pin, or can I remove some of the housing to see the switch. As it stand now I can just jiggle the lever in any direction and it turns the brake light off and on.

You should not have to remobve the lever itself, but might have to loosten the clam shell clamps the hold the assemblie on to the bars.
I had mine apart a while ago to do the chrome switches. It was fairly simple. Once inside you will see how the swich fits in. You will have to remove a couple of little screws to get a metal plate out.

I strongly recommend getting the service manual before you do this.
It has detail, and gives you all of the proper torque settings for putting it back together

One "little" thing, there is a small copper spring wedge that pushes the switch away from the housing to allow the switch "nib" to contact the lever. Don't ask how easy it is too lose that wedge, so the switch sinks away from the lever...and no more brake light actuation. If you open up the switch control housing, you just might find that copper wedge sitting in the bottom...or on the floor in your garage, and it is NOT magnetic, so don't bother using a magnet pickup tool...

Duct tape, I tell ya, duct tape!!!

Some after market lever's have a problem. I had a brake lever from drag specialty that would do just as you explained. Who ever did the grinding on the mold got alittle too aggresive and took down the area that holds the brake light switch in.

Be very careful with that switch it is real easy to break the button on it (I did just that) cost about 65 bucks for the switch plus labor for the repair, however dealer did it for free as EG was and is under warrenty.

Back