free website stats program front brake lever problem | Harley Davidson Forums

front brake lever problem

astrorock

hello all, i have a weird problem.. my front brake lever will not return fully, and the brake light will stay on. if i push the lever back the brake light will turn off. i have checked the switch and it is in correctly and moving freely.. the brake works fine, it's like there is a missing return spring or something..

any thoughts..

If you do replace the brake fluid, make sure you use what is printed on the master cylinder cover. HD has used DOT 3,4, and 5. I don't remember what year they went from 5 to 4. I think Hobbit has you on the right track if your lever is sluggish on the return. Also you might be extremly low on fluid.

I had to do my master cylinder for same reason, lights stayed on. I ended up strectching the spring. I would not spray wd40 around the m/c, I would pull the lever and put some teflon grease on the pin and bushing. You should consider buying a rebuild kit for the m/c if you are going to strip it.
kemo

Previous posts have you covered, just be very dilligent about cleanliness, clear water over rags initially; then using only 100% alcohol or fresh brake fluid to flush new parts when rebuilding. Make sure you use the appropriate brake fluid for your master cylinder. May also want to look in Self Help section for details on how to bleed the braking system.

Might try a little silicone spray on the plunger and pivot area to make sure its all free. Then if needed go to the more complex ideas.:)

Previous posts have you covered, just be very dilligent about cleanliness, clear water over rags initially; then using only 100% alcohol or fresh brake fluid to flush new parts when rebuilding. Make sure you use the appropriate brake fluid for your master cylinder. May also want to look in Self Help section for details on how to bleed the braking system.

Good point w/the cleanliness & also be very careful w/the brake fluid b/c it's corrosive to paint/finishes! Might be best to lay a cover over the tank & area(s) below the reservoir...

Have also seen this problem with dot 5 brake fluid, it can crystalize and cause the seals in the master cylinder not to return causing the light to stay on

thanks guys i'll have to check all that stuff out.. i think the plunger is not returning fully because there seems to be a space between the switch and the plunger, and the lever..

One other thing, did you have the control shell halves disassembled? There is a small copper wedge that could have slipped out causing the brake light plunger to bind and cause binding within. One of the reasons why a penny or shim is used to hold the lever while disassembling the control switch. Just something to watch out for...before setting off on m/c rebuild.

Back