free website stats program Front Brake Lever Play | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Brake Lever Play

As above, I had good, firm front brakes, just the lever with a tiny bit of play igniting the brake light.

Started the simple bleed process yesterday, got 4 inches of non-bubbly but dark fluid in the clear tubing, after about 3 cycles on the lever. THEN...the lever went limp all the way to the grip and no further bleeding, even with repeated pumps. Reservoir was still almost full. Tried holding the brake on and sucking the remaining fluid out with a large syringe, nothing. Do I have a clogged MC or brake line?

OK MC rebuild solved the brake light problem. Lever is springing back into the housing completely. However, I couldn't get the system to bleed before or after the rebuild. Prior to the first attempted bleed I had excellent brakes.

Now the brake lever pulls in all the way with no resistance, and I get no fluid in the clear tubing. Even tried a large syringe and couldn't get any thing going.

Is this a common issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleeding the MC after a rebuild and even during normal service can be a frustrating thing to do. The amount of fluid that is pushed into the line with each pump of the brake is small so it's a repetitive motion and perseverance that will get it done. Some times tapping on the MC with a hammer handle will help dislodge any air in the system and get you going faster.

If not try this bleeding procedure...

Harley Davidson Community

Always take a look in the self help area for tips on the job you're doing. It can save you much time.

Fresh rebuild on the MC, piston cup in the cylinder correctly. Went to a buddy's for dinner, left a full level of DOT5 in the MC, lever out (not tied down), bleeder open. Came home 4 hours later to an empty MC.

Is this "normal" or did the DOT5 leak past the seal and cup?

I'm set for the reverse bleed described in self help in the morning if all is OK with the MC.

Fresh rebuild on the MC, piston cup in the cylinder correctly. Went to a buddy's for dinner, left a full level of DOT5 in the MC, lever out (not tied down), bleeder open. Came home 4 hours later to an empty MC.

Is this "normal" or did the DOT5 leak past the seal and cup?

You have gravity bled the system and it will run out of fluid. There should be fluid all over your front wheels.

The small hole in the bottom centre of the master cylinder reservoir allows brake fluid to enter the system when the brakes are not applied this is to allow for wear of the brake pads
as you apply the brakes the seals on the piston block off the wee hole so that none of the applied pressure can escape back into the reservoir
so if you left the brakes at rest and the bleeder open the brake fluid will migrate out through the bleeder slowly

Brian

Actually the fluid went into the catch bottle. Apparently a slow but effective way to bleed? Great info Fin, thanks.

An update and FYI.

Brake lever issue that was keeping the brake light on resolved with MC rebuild.

Bleeding headache solved with gravity bleed, discovered by my accident and clarified by fin.
Filled the MC with handlebars all the way left, left brake lever out and walked away. Returned in an hour, MC fluid down about 1/2 inch. Topped off the MC with DOT5, two cycles of the usual manual bleeding procedure with no bubbles. Several pumps of the brake lever and done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you have it all resolve and now you will have a better understanding of how the brakes work and how the various parts interact with each other
And a good feeling of satisfaction that you fixed it yourself

Brian

Back