front brake lever for rear brakes?

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by phatboy677, Aug 7, 2009.

1. phatboy677

phatboy677 Member

can a front brake lever be used to activate the rear brakes? thanks for looking...

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

If you are referring to connecting both front and rear brakes,not without a major change in the plumbing and a proportioning valve installed to balance out the pressures. There are bikes with this setup but it never seemed to get off the ground.

3. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

1+ for alternate hand controls for disabled riders can be found. Even some of the great GP racers of the day had mods like handbrakes and thumb lever throttles. Do not know where to get 'em but might want to try Google and other search engines for special control needs.

4. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Motto guzzi developed a proportional linked brake system in the 70s gave 30% to the rear brake and 70% to the front while using brembo callipers and cast iron disks they had the best brakes on a motorcycle at that time
    although this system operated from the brake pedal wouldn't be too hard to make it work from the front brake lever just need a suitable master cylinder proportional valve and some brake pipes to join it all together

Brian

5. pete malone

pete malone Member

I bought a second hand quad from a 1 legged guy. he had got it altered so both brakes operated with the hand lever. It works fine and I haven't got it changed, but i'm not sure I would fancy it on 2 wheels unless again it's for a disability. It's amazing how quickly you adapt !

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Do you have a picture of the setup? Just curious how it was done...:60: