free website stats program Front brake lever, excessive play | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front brake lever, excessive play

Thanks for the tip, all seems well so far!....but will look out for it.

After doing the rebuild TWICE, then again to install my little spacer I did notice that the "lube" that comes with the HD kit seems to cause some drag on the piston O ring and primary cup. I installed the spacer that I made and didn't use the lube. No more issues for about the last year?? or so.

The spacer adds about .125 inch to the spring length. Enough to give a little more return on the lever but not so much that it pushes out the piston cap and wiper before you can re assemble the lever. I will be happy to make one and ship to you (gratis) if you find the need arises.

I think the root cause of my issue is that the piston bore was machined a bit too deep or the spring is a bit too short or both.

After doing the rebuild TWICE, then again to install my little spacer I did notice that the "lube" that comes with the HD kit seems to cause some drag on the piston O ring and primary cup. I installed the spacer that I made and didn't use the lube. No more issues for about the last year?? or so.

The spacer adds about .125 inch to the spring length. Enough to give a little more return on the lever but not so much that it pushes out the piston cap and wiper before you can re assemble the lever. I will be happy to make one and ship to you (gratis) if you find the need arises.

I think the root cause of my issue is that the piston bore was machined a bit too deep or the spring is a bit too short or both.

Thanks for those tips too, so far all is well after installing the re-build kit, was an after market one, and not HD...Drag Specialities..made in Japan!

Back