free website stats program Front brake caliper? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Front brake caliper?

I wouldn't apply Dielectric grease- it's qualities are electrical as opposed to mechanical.

My understanding is that one should use a slight dab of copper grease and then smear it over the the backs of the pads.This stuff has a high melting point, is waterproof and is a common solution to squealing/chattering brake pads. It stops them rattling about against the backing plates/shims.

By the way, do you have drilled discs? They can make a swishing or whirring noise as they rotate and pass through the calipers and brake pistons.

The answers about binding pistons through grit and grime build up are spot on, as is the reply that said if the wheel is still moving freely(relatively), then all's ok.If you can't move it then that a different story.
All disc brakes work with the pads keeping slight contact against the discs - it IS a good idea to clean the pistons and rubber boots to remove sand and grit and other stuff.
Guess I taught my Brake class wrong all these years, My Bad
Copper grease is a NO NO on brake slider points NJMO

I always used copper grease where the pads slide. Used a different type grease on caliper slides.

I wouldn't apply Dielectric grease- it's qualities are electrical as opposed to mechanical.

My understanding is that one should use a slight dab of copper grease and then smear it over the the backs of the pads.This stuff has a high melting point, is waterproof and is a common solution to squealing/chattering brake pads. It stops them rattling about against the backing plates/shims.

By the way, do you have drilled discs? They can make a swishing or whirring noise as they rotate and pass through the calipers and brake pistons.

The answers about binding pistons through grit and grime build up are spot on, as is the reply that said if the wheel is still moving freely(relatively), then all's ok.If you can't move it then that a different story.
All disc brakes work with the pads keeping slight contact against the discs - it IS a good idea to clean the pistons and rubber boots to remove sand and grit and other stuff.

Makes perfect sense.

Back