Front Brake adjustment

Discussion in 'Other Service and Maintenance' started by scrinch, Oct 25, 2008.

1. scrinch

scrinch Active Member

I have the service manual but can't seem to find any adjustment for the front brake lever. I checked the fluid and is OK but I have to get into the lever about 2/3 of the way before I get any front brake.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Other than bleeding the system, there's really no adjustment when it comes to disc brakes.

3. biscuit

biscuit Junior Member

Have you bled your brakes?What you're describing sounds exactly like air in your hydraulic system.And another thing;are you still running the original brake lines?Over time,these lose their effectiveness.

Maybe you could install new braided brake lines-these dont 'swell out' when you put pressure through the system,thus losing applied pressure and feel.And of course,new brake fluid and a good bleeding or purging.
    Your brakes probably work harder than most with that extra weight.:D

4. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

Not sure if this bike has front brakes.

Check the pad and rotors for excessive wear.
    When I had my front rotors and pads replaced I almost couldnt grab the brake lever.

5. krikket

krikket Active Member

Bleed the brakes. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CORRECT FLUID TYPE!!!!!!!!!

6. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

On the front brakes, I like putting the fluid in from the caliper bleeders. I have an '03 UC with twins on the front. Here is what I do:
    • Open the reservoir and make sure it is full (refer to manual for correct fluid).
    • Put a clear plastic tubing on each of the bleeder valves and submerge in a clear bottle with break fluid over the ends of the tubing.
    • Make sure your bottle is well below the bleeder valves (like on the ground).
    • Open up each bleeder one at a time and allow the fluid to gravity feed until the tubing is full.
    • Watch for air bubbles coming out of the bleeder valve.
    • Keep the reservoir full as the fluid gravity drains until the new fluid has completely replaced the old stuff in both sides tubing.
    • Open both bleeders and drain reservoir until ALMOST empty, but leave fluid just above port in bottom.
    • Close both bleeders.
    • Get a large syringe full of brake fluid and carefully plug the end of the tubing on it - BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET ANY AIR IN THE TUBING.
    • Open that bleeder and "inject" fluid until the reservoir is just under half full.
    • Close the bleeder and repeat on the other side.
    • Make sure both bleeder valves are snug, remove the tubing and put on the dust caps.
    • Top off the reservoir and put the top back on it.
    DONE!!

TQ

7. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

Glider had a great idea in the help section for getting rid of trapped air in the brakes.

Here is the link :
    Brake Bleeding Tips - Harley Davidson Community

I see TQuentin1 tip was also placed in the self help.
    Here is the link :
    Bleeding Brakes - Harley Davidson Community
    This is also an excellent tip.

I am far from being an expert , but if the brake bleeding was done correctly
    and the pads and rotors dont have excessive wear and there is still to much brake travel , it time for a rebuild kit