free website stats program From out of state into California??? | Harley Davidson Forums

From out of state into California???

89 FXRS

A friend of mine is going to buy a 09 CVO Roadglide from Utah and lives in California - I've heard that the bike needs 7,500 miles to be able to regester it in Cal. - was wondering if all the bikes are 50 state legal now or will there also be an emmision problem to deal with??

I recently moved from Kalifornia, and the DMV is hard to figure out as the rules seem to change from Day to Day! Call the Cal DMV and get the requirements, the mileage is true for cars/trucks, I'm not sure on the motorcycles that are current MY. Best to do this beforehand to keep from having problems!

HTH
HD

If it' sin Utah it's a 49 state bike and he won't be able to register it in CA. It has to have 7500 miles on it to be able to bring it in from another state and register it.

So if it has over 7,500 miles on it then he won't have any trouble getting it registered or is there other provisions like emmisions ect.... The bike already has over 7,000 miles on it and if he rides it back from Utah he'll have more than 7,500 miles

Contact the DMV Technical Compliance Section at (916) 657-6795 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday - Friday, Pacific Time.

Here is the link to the webpage with out of state new vehicle purchase requirements.

A quote about running the millage up after purchase and before registering:

"If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law."

But please call them, that way there is no gotcha's, guesses, or I didn't knows that will keep him from registering it legally.

Sorry for yelling :bigsmiley30:

HTH

HD

Last edited:
Also the bill of sale must show over 7500 miles mine did not and it was a mess.

So if it has over 7,500 miles on it then he won't have any trouble getting it registered or is there other provisions like emmisions ect.... The bike already has over 7,000 miles on it and if he rides it back from Utah he'll have more than 7,500 miles

as long as bill of sale shows 7500 or more miles at time of sale you will be fine. Also Do not go to DMV use the AAA of So cal not as picky with everything. I have to get notry and new bill of sales and a whole bunch more stuff before I could reg my sporty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back