free website stats program Fried Starter Relay? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fried Starter Relay?

Sentinel

I finally got to put my back back together after a month. had to replace clutch and fix the shifter shaft. now it started and ran fine last night. running a bit rich but I can adjust later. I wanted to go for a ride today, and nothing. lights came on and it just clicking under my seat. Couldn't start. No signals. No horn. Nada. I here a clicking under the seat. I looked at some stuff online and it might be a relay? The starter? Not sure. Help?

Start simple, check and clean all battery connections. Helps to know year and model. (the reason I say that, is there's several ways we access the forum. My way shows new posts, not the category/section you posted in)

After you do as Pete suggested load test the battery. How old is it? If you don't have a battery tender I would suggest getting one.

After you do as Pete suggested load test the battery. How old is it? If you don't have a battery tender I would suggest getting one.
Right. Well battery connections are true and fine. Brand new battery actually. Not even a month old.

The bike is a 1983 sportster xls 1000 electric start.

If this helps when I tried starting my bike it let out almost like a sigh. I clicked the ignition switch and it just went "pshhhhh".

You still may want to do a load test on a fully charged battery. New does not = good
It could very well be the relay but when I hear you have headlights but you only hear clicking when you hit the start switch that is a good indicator of a low battery or a ground issue. Recheck all connections to include at the starter.

You still may want to do a load test on a fully charged battery. New does not = good
It could very well be the relay but when I hear you have headlights but you only hear clicking when you hit the start switch that is a good indicator of a low battery or a ground issue. Recheck all connections to include at the starter.
Right. Not sure how to load test. Battery has been charging overnight. Just check up on it and apparently done charging. Also the clicking makes the light dim for a quick second.

You can put the volt meter on and hit the switch, even if it doesn't crank see if it drops and if so to what. You can also take the battery to Auto Zone if you have one close by, they'll do a load test for you for free. This is a good way to eliminate the battery as your issue.

If you need to Elimanate the relay they are not that expensive.

You can put the volt meter on and hit the switch, even if it doesn't crank see if it drops and if so to what. You can also take the battery to Auto Zone if you have one close by, they'll do a load test for you for free. This is a good way to eliminate the battery as your issue.

If you need to Elimanate the relay they are not that expensive.
I work at auto zone lol. And replaced it. Was just a circuit breaker

Back