free website stats program Fretting ?? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fretting ??

If oil can't and, seems not to be able to get in, could you put high tack grease where the fretting is going on??? If oil can't get in, then the grease shouldn't be able to get out, right???
wilks3
:USA

Last edited:
I was changing primary oil yesterday and decided to open the primary again. No red rust visible till I took the compensator apart. There was minor fretting but it wasn't dry. The sprocket and boss had a film of oil on both, not much but some. This was after 9000 miles since the last time I had it apart. I did grind the grooves into the sprocket spokes last year and flared the ends hoping they would act like a funnel to catch oil. I put Lubriplate grease on the splines, sprocket and boss and put it back together. I decided the fretting was minor enough that I'm not going to worry about it for awhile. I will be watching to see if Hoople's fix will help and if it does I'll take it apart then and grind grooves into the boss also. I still think Harley should find a solution to the problem and let us know. I don't expect a free compensator from them although they should replace them free of charge but if they ever get it right I would buy the new and improved comp.
I should also add I'm using Formula+ oil in the primary.

To me it looks like the sprocket now rocks back and forth on the sprocket retainer instead of the shaft extension. I'm guessing they think oil will seep in threw the thrust washer. Not sure if they have made any improvement because the thrust washer looks the same as the old comps. Oil doesn't get in threw the old thrust washer so I'm not sure it will get in threw the new one. JMHO

Here are some pics, two of which are similar to what Geezer and others have done to attempt oil flow.

And then the other pic shows the only two parts (said at source) that changed from original SE comp kit and beside it the Type A kit.
It looks to me like they changed the shaft extension, the other part I kinda confused if it's the sliding cam or what from reading the PDF install file ?

Attachments

• CompKit1&TypeA.jpg
    CompKit1&TypeA.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 105
  • CompGroove2.jpg
    CompGroove2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 24
  • CompGrooves3.jpg
    CompGrooves3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 23
I asked the source of the pics and he told me it was

dawg (on another forum) said:
shaft extension and sprocket retainer

Ah, in the Kit PDF the sprocket retainer was turned around to the hex side.

Here is the Type A parts depictions and list

Attachments

• TypeAParts.jpg
    TypeAParts.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 15
  • TypeAlist.jpg
    TypeAlist.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for posting the pics RWB. It looks to me like they made the shaft extension without the boss for the sprocket to run on and just put it on the sprocket retainer. I can't see how it will change anything, still no way for the oil to get in. That fiber thrust washer has such small grooves oil will hardly run down them sitting still, never mind spinning at 3-5000 rpm. I might be missing something but I don't see any improvement to address the problem. JMHO

Thanks for posting the pics RWB. It looks to me like they made the shaft extension without the boss for the sprocket to run on and just put it on the sprocket retainer. I can't see how it will change anything, still no way for the oil to get in. That fiber thrust washer has such small grooves oil will hardly run down them sitting still, never mind spinning at 3-5000 rpm. I might be missing something but I don't see any improvement to address the problem. JMHO

Yea that's the impression I got when I first looked at the actual parts. Here is the 1st Edition SE Comp kit parts depicition, it was still confusing to match the changed parts, (till the other guy pointed them out to me), since this PDF file shows the parts depicted from the OPPOSITE view as the Type A PDF does. All I really see it doing is making more money for Moco. I feel from experience Toyota could have done a much better job on it. But then they had the discipline of 2 atom bombs to get their act together. I suspect our time is coming.

Seems to me they should have drilled (and chamfered) holes thru the sprocket itself going down to the shaft area, so oil could have dripped off the chain down the spokes, thru the holes onto the shaft.

Attachments

• SE_1stParts.jpg
    SE_1stParts.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 9
  • SE_1stList.jpg
    SE_1stList.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 6
Back