free website stats program Fresno | Harley Davidson Forums

Fresno

Redfish-Joe

We are arriving in Fresno Ca. on May 29th. A friend has family there he wants to visit for a few days. The rest of us want to take off for a few days but have to be in Oakhurst on the 3rd for the Southern Cruisers State Rally. Anyone have a three day ride they could recommend.

Thanks all!!

Take a trip west to "Hollister" not but there but it is where the OMG world started. Then I would head to Monterey bay which is were I would spent the night, very nice. Of course there are lots of wine tasting places. You could do alot on the west coast in three days, but still never enough time!!!

Redfish-Joe, you could head for the coast and catch Hearst Castle and up the coast highway, to the San Francisco Bay Area...staying on the coast highway during the day and afternoon when it is warmer and less possiblity of coastal fog, because it can get pretty treacherous.

It may be a bit early in the season, but if the weather is good you could head North East and tour thru Yosemite. You're not all that far away. But check the weather; it can be unpredictable that time of year.

Oakhurst is right next to Yosemite, about 3/4 of the way from Fresno. You will have Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, and lots of other good riding in your backyard from there. Late May is pretty decent weather, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. If you want to ride the coast, it is about 125 miles as the crow flies from Fresno. Enjoy your trip, beautiful area.

It may be a bit early in the season, but if the weather is good you could head North East and tour thru Yosemite. You're not all that far away. But check the weather; it can be unpredictable that time of year.

Oakhurst is right next to Yosemite, about 3/4 of the way from Fresno. You will have Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, and lots of other good riding in your backyard from there. Late May is pretty decent weather, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. If you want to ride the coast, it is about 125 miles as the crow flies from Fresno. Enjoy your trip, beautiful area.

The Southern Cruisers have some ride planned during the rally thru Yosemite. One of the guys that we are going with has rides planned thru Kings Canyon and Sequoia. I think while he visits his family for a few days a couple of us may take off up PCH for a day or two. The great thing about this trip is no clocks, no time frames just be at the rally on the 3rd.

We will be leaving here on May 20th for a month and taking 9 days to get to Fresno. Camping 2 days and on the 3rd getting a motel. Overnight stops include Jacksboro Tx, Roswell, NM, Reserve, NM, Sedona Az, Then up to the south rim of the Grand Canyon then Kanab, Ut. the north rim, Zion NP, Hoover Dam, Overnight in Kingman, Az then overnight at Calico Ghost Town. Then on to Fresno.

Return route has not been finalized yet, but we will wind up in Denver for a few days. A high school buddy lives there and he's gonna put us up for a few days and show us the country side.

Quite a few places I'll be able to scratch off my Bucket List. :p

Well I'm thinking both south-north rims, Zion and Hoover Dam you won't have enough time for them to fit in your nine days, unless you plan on not stopping to visit or going to the bottom of the Dam. Most of the NP are slow rides due to both the slights and the slightseers. Good luck to you and oh San Antonio NM (near Socorro) have lunch at the owl bar, best green chili cheeseburgers ever!!

Well I'm thinking both south-north rims, Zion and Hoover Dam you won't have enough time for them to fit in your nine days, unless you plan on not stopping to visit or going to the bottom of the Dam. Most of the NP are slow rides due to both the slights and the slightseers. Good luck to you and oh San Antonio NM (near Socorro) have lunch at the owl bar, best green chili cheeseburgers ever!!

Thanks for the heads up for the Owl Bar. We will pass right by it on 380. We hadn't planned on stopping at the dam and the mule rides to the bottom of the Grand Canyon are booked almost a year in advance so the girls won't be able to do that. We have a few extra days to get there before the rally just in case something comes up. Can't wait!!!!!!!

Big Sur is mighty fine. If you go to Montery you might as well head south on hwy 1 to San Simeon and see Hearst Castle. Late May and early June can have some pretty good winds and also fog so bring the cold weather gear so you can be prepared. Also you might consider checking out the Big Basin Redwoods outside of Santa Cruz. You could pick it up by way of CA hwy 9 off the 1 and do a loop through the woods and end up on Hwy 1 again. Big basin will give you fog enshrouded forests with a cathedral like canopy over the roadway. The 1 will take you down to Sta Cruz if you head south.Pigeon Pt lighthouse is on the way and is pretty cool if you like that sort of thing. If you choose to do so you can pick up CA hwy 35 aka Skyline which is equally beautiful. Also you've got to work in crossing the Golden Gate on your bike.
Be prepared for and be patient for the traffic. There can be various local activities in these areas like bicycle races,concerts and art exhibitions. It is still well worth it and you wont be disappointed.:D

Thanks for the heads up for the Owl Bar. We will pass right by it on 380. We hadn't planned on stopping at the dam and the mule rides to the bottom of the Grand Canyon are booked almost a year in advance so the girls won't be able to do that. We have a few extra days to get there before the rally just in case something comes up. Can't wait!!!!!!!

If you decide to camp...do it just outside the basin...:D the campgrounds are less crowded and don't forget if you have someone who is a senior get a National Park discount card...the parking and entrance fee is free as our Fed & State tax dollars paid for the previlege. Riding into the basin is a lot better than fighting the traffic and congestion there when bedding down late at night...JMO! BTW, take a look in the clear blue water...you will see tiny flecks of gold...:newsmile036: a pleasant welcome from the Golden State.

Back