free website stats program Freak of Nature | Harley Davidson Forums

Freak of Nature

zoood

Product Contributor
I was setting on my trike, outside a dealership. 3 riders pulled up and parked along side of me. They exited their bikes and were standing outside the entrance door. I happened to take notice to one of the riders bike's seats. In one spot of the seat. A pin hole size spot on their seat started to smoke. I called to one of the riders and said your seat is starting to smoke! he rushed over and sure enough. In one little spot it was starting to burn and melt! He immediately started taking his seat off, which ceased the smoke and the burn that was taking place. What had happened. Is that when they pulled up and the way they were parked. The sun was reflected from one mirror to another's mirror and then to his mirror and then to the seat. It acted just like when one uses the sun through a magnifying glass to pin point the intensity of the sun's ray. Luckily I was there to notice this. It would have been a bummer to come out to a bike fire! And never to know how it ignited.

Great, just great. Now I have to worry about how the sun and the mirrors are aligned when I park. Riding a motorcycle is sure getting complicated.

Great, just great. Now I have to worry about how the sun and the mirrors are aligned when I park. Riding a motorcycle is sure getting complicated.

Well now you'll have an excuse when others catch you checking yourself out in your mirrors. lol

Wow....that sounds like something that would happen to me. It sure could of turned out differently. Glad that you were able to get it taken care of before anything did happen.

A friend of mine had that happen to him...........TWICE!!! the first time was at a run last year. Last year we thought some one had vandalizes his bike because he just found a big burn on his seat. The next time was this year.....at the same run!!, but this time someone caught it, and we found last years culprit. THE SUN!!!
I'll have to tell him about this so he knows he's not the "only" one.:s

Had that happen once, not on the bike, but in the house...sun was shining into window at just the right angle, reflecting off my gal's makup mirror right on to a belt i had put down laying over a chair. Burned a dime sized hole through the "pleather material"...noticed it by the small bit of smoke and bright light on the belt...still have it as a reminder of Murphy's law, what can happen sometimes will.:52:

Wow. Strange stuff. Who would have thought that could ever happen?

Don't think I'll limit my bike to cloudy and raining days over it though.:D

Back