free website stats program Frame painting | Harley Davidson Forums

Frame painting

Bendweasel

Has anyone rattle-canned the bad spots on a frame?

I'm redoing the 79 Shovel. About all that's left is the engine and tranny (and the oil bad, thanks to a stripped nut - picking up a nut buster tomorrow).

The mods I'm doing call for a total rewire. The old harness wasn't stock (no connectors) and looked pretty bad in some places but the oil bag has to be removed to route the new stuff.

I've got a lot of bad spots on the frame under the seat and tank as well as on the vertical pieces that go up to the top of the shocks. I figure with all the wiring pulled out it's an ideal time to sand those to bare metal and get some new paint on them.

The HD shop says the color is Vivid Black, but couldn't help me much more than that. They said they could sell me some for $80 a quart, and then I'd need an applicator and an activator - a little overkill for what I'm going for.

I'm thinking sand/brush it down to metal, prime, paint everything I can get at and follow it up with clear.

Just not sure what kind of paint and what color (flat, satin, gloss).

Anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance!

Drifter

PS pulling the rest of the parts and sandblasting and repainting the frame isn't an option due to a lack of some tools, recent surgery, and funds!

:hmmm:

I've painted whole frames and done touch ups with spray cans. I like Rustoleum gloss black. I don't know that clear coat is necessary for the frame, but I can't see a problem doing it. The only problem with spray can paint is it never gets real hard, so it scratches easy.

c1bfd737-19ed-4356-a1e6-f77e56badb0a_1000.jpg

Have a look at this @ Home Depot

Back