free website stats program Frame cross reference | Harley Davidson Forums

Frame cross reference

billwi

I have an '05 Ultra Classic. The frame is broken in the rear and I am considering a frame change. What model years are direct replacements for the '05? I'm thinking this same frame was used from '97 - '07, but I could be wrong. Old age and all.... :)

To save ALOT of hassles, I'm considering having a race car fabricator/welder look at it to see if it can be fixed. But, I always need a "plan B", just in case...

Thanks!

If it can be welded I believe that would be the most cost effective way to go. A good welder/fabricator should be able to fix it and in some cases make it stronger then before.

Last edited:
The owner before me massively overloaded the tour Pak. In turn, I didn't help much by further overloading for a long trip. The 2 "spuds" on the tail of the frame which supports the Pak, fender, etc snapped off, as well as breaking the support bracket that bolts to these "spuds". I have learned my lesson the hard way about overloading. :/
WAP.gif

That isn't an integral part of the frame. I would just weld it and ride.

I agree with Steve, weld it. As to your original question, '97-'07 frames are basically the same. A different tab here and there may be different.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Bike will be headed to the welder on Monday.
WAP.gif

Two things that may help prevent further problems. Tell the welder to clamp his ground cable as close to the weld area as he can. It will minimize welding current affecting any of your wiring/components. Unplug the ECM, it may save it from problems associated with the welder current.

Thanks, breeze. Another question has popped up from the welder. He is requesting the stock measurements for the back half of the bike to make sure everything is correct. Any ideas on how a guy could get his hands on a copy of the original frame blueprints?
WAP.gif

IF the rear frame is in pieces? that might be a problem.
Broken on one side and together IT Should line up on a table and simple measurement keeping it flat and square will do... Copy the other side... There is a 1/8 (close) hole in the older outside frames that you can use a homemade gauge.. a 1/8 to 3/16 steel rod (16" or so works More than enough)

Grind a Sharp Point on one end then bend it to 90* in a vice at about 1 1/2 inches . use the point to align from the small hole to a similar place on the good side and transfer measurement to the broken side...

It will be an accurate measurement... Harley uses that hole to align rear axle to the frame/running gear/rear tire alignment..

I used 1/8 angle iron 1 1/4 by 1 1/4 to fishplate Neatly & wire feed it with 1 inch welds.... it had the strength needed... Even 1/8 x 1" flat plate Neatly two places vertical works with strength.... There should be room...

Skip welds on the fishplates and ask him to start them 3/8 inch before the fishplate and go at least one inch into them from either ends
(Fishplates 4 inches long work)...

Less stress of cracking out that way... 45 angle on the fishplate ends would also help to stop Fractures from a straight piece.. same idea on skip welding...

I have done my 00 rear frame this way and used only one 1/8 angle 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 to do the fishplate... Skip welded it in and only did a light cover and grind on the original break...

Many ways to skin the cat...

Guess I just got excited here as I used to have my own welding repair shop in Wa. nothing but RIDE down here Az... I hide when people want me to weld now...:nosad

BUT:

Nothing worse than an old RETIRED welder telling another welder How to do his trade UNLESS they ask. EH geezer... (private joke):newsmile100:

good luck on the repair... IT will work just fine....

signed....BUBBIE

Back