free website stats program Frame Bottoming out on 1992 FLST | Harley Davidson Forums

Frame Bottoming out on 1992 FLST

treeblue

I would like to get some information, on a set of custom shocks for a 1992 Harley-Davidson FLST that has been customized. My frame is an aftermarket frame, I am not sure of the make. I do know that it is a wide tail frame and swing arm. It looks to have stock Harley Davidson shocks. But my problem is, I keep bottoming out. It does sit lower than a stock frame, much lower. I weigh approximately 300 pounds(oh, did I say I was 6'8"), and my wife weighs approximately 1/2 that. On left-hand turns, I bottom out on the frame. On right-hand turns, I bottom out on the floorboard. I need to raise the bike up a couple of inches. I could use some suggestions. I would appreciate it very much.

Attachments

• DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 74
Looks like you have the floor board extensions on it, that may be part of the problem. Have you tried to adjust the shocks yet?

I have not tried to adjust the shocks from the setting that they were on when I got the bike, but there is only about half-inch of adjustment left. And I don't think, that that will raise it up enough.

Hey guys,

Has anyone tried the new Shotgun Shocks air ride system. I was wondering how they work compared to the AIR FX system. How about the SAS system.

Last edited:
Okay! After much research and making phone calls, e-mailing.I decided to go with a Shotgun Shock Air Ride System. Best decision I ever made. I am now able to raise my bike to where it does not bottom out when cornering or hitting bumps. It doesn't matter whether it's just me or me and the ol' lady. I am able to change ride height and dampening on-the-fly. It gives me the most comfortable ride I have ever had on a bike. I would recommend this system to anyone who is looking for a better ride. Bar none.

Okay! After much research and making phone calls, e-mailing.I decided to go with a Shotgun Shock Air Ride System. Best decision I ever made. I am now able to raise my bike to where it does not bottom out when cornering or hitting bumps. It doesn't matter whether it's just me or me and the ol' lady. I am able to change ride height and dampening on-the-fly. It gives me the most comfortable ride I have ever had on a bike. I would recommend this system to anyone who is looking for a better ride. Bar none.

Thank you TreeBlue for your followup post. The Soft tail suspension is different as Hobbit posted earlier and your solution should make a lot of Softtail owners happy if they have a similar experience. :newsmile106:

Back