free website stats program forward right peg mount question | Harley Davidson Forums

forward right peg mount question

R_W_B

I have Kuryakyn foot pegs with heel stirrups. Today I noticed my right heel stirrup slipped down some, maybe an inch. I thought my heel stirrup lock nut had slipped.

When I got home I got down and checked it out further, but the heel stirrup nut was tight. I have the standard H.D. Dyna forward controls. What had happened was the footrest mount clevis had turned counter clockwise some. The clevis mounting bolt seemed tight, but the clevis had just turned some. I guess I somehow put more weight on it today than anytime before. (the clevis is the U shaped brace that the peg slides in and bolts to)

But what is confusing me is when I put a wrench the clevis itself, it will turn both ways (if you pull hard enough) about maybe 1/8 turn and then it stops. What is it that makes it stop ?

My bike came with forwards so I don't know the innards of it. I guess I could pull it all apart but figured you guys would know about this. Anyhow I guess I will just make sure it's on the bottom of it's rotation and then set the heel stirrups to that.

If you can determine the model # of the footpeg/heel stirrup from the Küryakyn website, they usually have an installation PDF that shows exploded diagram to help you figure things out. :s

ISO®-Stirrups

If you can determine the model # of the footpeg/heel stirrup from the Küryakyn website, they usually have an installation PDF that shows exploded diagram to help you figure things out. :s

[URL="http://exit.hdtimeline.com/postid340513"]ISO®-Stirrups[/URL]

I have an exploded PDF of the H.D. Forward control brake pedal assembly but I can't readily spot what it's stopping on. Guess I will have to pull it apart. Just don't feel comfortable with it not knowing what is going on in there.

The heel stirrup and peg are ok, it's just the H.D. peg clevis mount that is turning.

Well I started pulling it apart and got to the clevis mount bolt which is a Torx head. It seems to be too small for a T45 and a T40 is a bit too loose ?

Do they sell a torx in between T40 and T45 ? I haven't been able to find any.

My sets go from 40-45. I just looked at a couple of sets on line and they are the same. Maybe there is a new type fastener we don't know about. :(

Well I started pulling it apart and got to the clevis mount bolt which is a Torx head. It seems to be too small for a T45 and a T40 is a bit too loose ?

Do they sell a torx in between T40 and T45 ? I haven't been able to find any.

Use an allen wrench, just find the one that the flats line up with the points, not the greatest work around, but works in a pinch.

My sets go from 40-45. I just looked at a couple of sets on line and they are the same. Maybe there is a new type fastener we don't know about. :(

Use an allen wrench, just find the one that the flats line up with the points, not the greatest work around, but works in a pinch.

The two torx screws on the base of the mount are definitely T45, it fits in snug and sinks all the way in. But the clevis screw is a little off and won't let the T45 sink in much at all. I'm just gonna let it go. I was only taking it apart to see how it worked. I just rotated the clevis travel all the way counter clockwise so my stirrup will not sink again. Made it where I can't quite get the Kuryakyn stirrup adjustment threads to match the left side, it's either a little much or a little less. But they are close enough. I will just forget about it until I have a real reason to get it off.

The two torx screws on the base of the mount are definitely T45, it fits in snug and sinks all the way in. But the clevis screw is a little off and won't let the T45 sink in much at all. I'm just gonna let it go. I was only taking it apart to see how it worked. I just rotated the clevis travel all the way counter clockwise so my stirrup will not sink again. Made it where I can't quite get the Kuryakyn stirrup adjustment threads to match the left side, it's either a little much or a little less. But they are close enough. I will just forget about it until I have a real reason to get it off.

SK TORX Plus Bit Sockets and Sets try a look @ these

Like Jack says, it could be a Torx Plus. My bike does have both. One has rounded apex(s) and the other has pointed apex(s) which gives it that sloppy feel.

Back