free website stats program forward controls | Harley Davidson Forums

forward controls

I have them on mine and I wouldn't have it any other way. The stock location is just to uncomfortable for me.

I have them on mine and I wouldn't have it any other way. The stock location is just to uncomfortable for me.

I agree! I had the dealer put them on mine when I picked it up. When I sat on the bike at the dealer, it just seemed as if the feeling wasn't there. Drove it home and never looked back. I have bad feet, and the forward controls just make it like I am sitting on cloud nine. You'll like them for sure!

BRIAN

Forward controls take a bit of getting used to. Conventional wisdom says that mid pegs/controls are closer to the center of gravity and "moment of inertia" (center of rotation) which in plain speak means best control down low for the bike. BUT not the most comfortable when doing long runs or if you have long inseams. :s

The good news is since you have mid/controls, there are some options that allow you to use the foward controls, but retain the mids for rough roads and such. So explore your options and by all means try forward controls...it takes a while to get used to them, and if you still like the old sport bike feel, I have been known to use the passenger pegs "for fun" :D

NEWHD74FAN gave some real insight into that area. If you are tall OR you have long legs, then you are probably going to want Forwards.

My bike (bought used) came with HD forwards. I like them (and I am tall) but there are certain differences from the mids I ran on my other 3 bikes yrs ago.

Most all of the differences were covered in previous replies of this thread, but one thing I noticed is that with your feet out in the forward postion it feels like you are more dependent on the adomen muscles to hold you against 70 mph wind (with no windshield). When I rode with mid controls I don't remember the wind pulling on my adomen as much. Course I have the 10" OEM mini apes so my hands are up some. If you have lower bars OR Tbars that lean you forward and-or down some OR a windshield, then the high speed wind will not be as much a factor.

Another thing I noticed with forwards (at high speeds) is that with pegs only my feet felt like light like they would slide down off the pegs if I did not watch it. Course I wear a size 12 boot so it catches a lot of wind. But I bought some Kury pegs with stirrups (adjustable) and they changed all that. They make it almost as comfortable and floorboards.

Hope this gives you some insight into your decision.

I had forwards on my Sportster and have them on the Softail. Took my buddy's Dyna out with mids, could not get comfortable going back to mids, even though I had mids on both other bikes I had owned, not HD's though. I think once you try forwards you won't go back.

LOL T, I never rode a sport bike, but I am known to run with my feet on the passenger pegs too at times. :D But I would never give up my forward controls. :s

ROFL you ain't gunna admit it are you :) It's ok, your secret is safe with me :)
I am not admitting to anything! But seriously, I only rode on the back of one once in my life with one of my brothers friends, a really short, FAST trip. But I was young & dumb, (really dumb for riding with that guy anyway) but we all know God takes care of young dummies. :D I wouldn't get a sport bike because when I was young, I liked to go fast, but I would only ride bicycles since I could then only go as fast as my legs would take me. By the time I got to where I could afford a motorcycle, my back would not tolerate the sport bike. :)

Now I will tell a story on myself though. I've mentioned before that I keep a Suzuki 200 dual sport for riding at our farm & in WV some. (We have 2 places & I can't convince him to get Harley's for both), but last summer we were out on the dual sports cruising along and I settled in and then stretched my leg out meaning to rest it on my foot peg, except that only works on the deuce with my forward controls. Worst part is that hubby saw the move and got a good laugh over it. I came out from a rest break & he had rigged a long stick through the frame and told me he made me a set of highway pegs. Unfortunately I was like Jack that day and didn't have a camera or my cell phone to use as a camera. :D

Have to agree with what has been said. I had mids with highway pegs when I got my Dyna (It was my first bike). After a year I found my feat more on the highway pegs then the mids, so swamped them out and put the forwards on. Much better ride IMO. I have a windshield too, so can't comment on the wind pressure on the abdomen, since I rarely take off the shield.

In general, it took me at least a few weeks to get used to the forwards on take off but well worth it. Chances are if you are considering it you will most likely be doing it. Just do it yourself if you are up to it. Really not too hard of a job depending on how you go about it and the dealer will charge you quite a bit for the work due to the primary removal.

bought mine and it had mids, rode it 550 miles home that day and couldn't hardly walk, the next day stuck forwards on. Way better for long distances in my opinion. I am 5'10", so not real tall.

Back