Forward controls--opinions needed.

Discussion in 'FXR Models' started by Witchking, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Witchking

Witchking New Member

Hello all....

I am looking for a set of forward controls for my 1984 FXRS. I see forward controls with the rod on the brake side that hooks to your existing master cylinder, and then I see some that have their own master cylinder and you have to run a hose to it.

My question--are there any adantages/disadvantages to using one type or the other? Are they both about the same difficulty level to install?

Thanks in advance!

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. What little I know about forward controls is that conversions from mid controls often use the existing master cylinder with a long rod to the brake and designated forward controls have the m.c. up close to the pedal. You can see lots of difference types at J&P Cycle, Jireh, ebay, etc. Search "Harley FXR forward controls".

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

The difference is usually the price being one includes a new master cylinder. I have used the one that employs the rod to the original master cylinder and it worked well.

4. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

My 94 dyna wide glide came from the factory with a long rod from the brake pedal to the master cylinder works great and would be easier to do that kind of conversion and easier to put back to stock at a later date if required

Brian

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Guest

What all the others have said here, Shop around and look at other bikes like yours to get a better idea:s

6. murf

murf Active Member

Ditto what Glider said. Mine came from Ebay for around $240 and did not include M/C. Easy install, work well and not too expensive. very solid/durable components and even came with retainer clip for the orig. mid control lever/linkage and cap with set screw for the splined shaft sticking out from primary. Very happy with them.

7. 84FXRS

84FXRS Member

the foward controls for the FXRS, most catalogs have them for around 270-280
    They have the o-ring pegs, work fine, and of course youre finished for under $300.
    otherwise you will looking at double or more for the cost.

8. 84FXRS

84FXRS Member

saw a set on a 86FXRT last nite, real nice ,
    look in the v twin catalog, the brake side and the shift side are
    each sold in a separate kit. If you dont see them I'll look up the part #s

9. Grumpy01

Grumpy01 Member

Converted mine a couple of years ago. Bought a Landmark set at a discount but needed more room for my legs. Made adaptor brackets out of old pair of chrome highway bar pieces. Worked great. However, master cylinder was a 3/4 inch bore which did not give enough leverage to work the rear brake. The stock push rod rear brake cylinder is 9/16". Had to buy another master cylinder which cured the problem. Smaller master cylinders for rear and front brakes give more pressure and are easier on the hands & feet even when used for dual brakes in the front.. Its the trick set-up when using organic pads on polished rotors. Braking stays the same, rotor lasts longer.